Friday, August 31, 2007

A Night Without Internet

I survived a night without the internet and I'm here to tell you it was a piece of cake. I came in from work, went straight to my laptop, and hit the power button. With mounting anticipation, I clicked on Explorer once the hourglass finally disappeared. Nothing happened. No big deal. I can't get online. I asked Robin to check his laptop. Same story. I calmly walked to the office to check the desk computer. It, too, wasn't responding. The storm we'd had did somethng to the computer connection and our provider would have it working in no time.


It didn't happen. It still wasn't working when I awoke this morning. So how did I get through the night? I cooked dinner and occasionally checked my conection. I did a load of wash and checked the connection. I ironed, heart racing and my body breaking a sweat, and folded the clothes for my trip to Georgia. One swipe of the iron, check the computer, one swipe of the iron
. . .

I washed dishes and thought about how I couldn't check mail or the blogs. I'd wring the dishcloth, then wring my hands. My face was flushed. Horrible tremors assailed me as I kept going to my beloved laptop and discovering how it was letting me down again.

But I survived. It was really no big deal. I accomplished many things instead of wasting precious time staring at the monitor. Logic told me I would have internet at work and delaying that experience for a few hours wouldn't kill me. I gulped down my coffee, picked up all the paper sacks I'd breathed into since I'd been home, and anxiously drove myself to work. No big deal at all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what time did you get to work? 4am?? LOL

I hate the nights when Mike is out of town because that means he takes the laptop and leaves me with the ancient and SLOW computer.

Anonymous said...

Are we a little melodramatic? You and Angela went a little over the top today with your blog entries.

Anonymous said...

LOL LOL Remember the commercial "so this is the dining room"? That's what this scenario sounds like. I have to admit in all fairness I start sweating when ours goes down too! I'll be talking to you Peggy before you leave.

Anonymous said...

That would be me if the TV wasn't working. I like to have noise while I'm at home. No, not Robin.LOL

Anonymous said...

That would be me if the TV wasn't working. I like to have noise while I'm at home. No, not Robin.LOL

angela | the painted house said...

Mother, I know you are not overreacting.