Friday, August 03, 2007

A Date With Thomas


Thomas will turn 6 years old next week so we scheduled our birthday shopping and eating out for after work today. Needless to say, he was bouncing off the walls with excitement. What child doesn't love going to Toys R Us, knowing they get to pick out toys?


I took off from work early and drove him to my house. He played awhile in the toy room/guest room, and on the slot machines. When Robin and I finished our coffee, we all got in the car to begin our shopping spree. Thomas had his heart set on Transformers and I told him I know right where they are. I've taken grandchildren shopping many times before. He picked out three of them (don't ask me what kind) and wanted to carry them himself to the check-out counter. I even gave him the money so he could pay for them.


Thomas is not a shy boy and seldom meets a stranger, so everyone we came in contact with now knows that in six days he will turn six. People at Toy R Us are aware, as are the greeters at Chili's where we ate our birthday dinner, our waitress, and anyone else who happened by.


Thomas ordered macaroni and cheese but was too excited to eat much of it so we carried the rest of it home for him. He didn't want to eat. He wanted to get home and play with his new toys. Even in the picture his Dad took, you can tell he didn't want to waste time with a picture when three new toys were waiting to be ripped from their packages. Thank you to Ron for taking this picture when absent-minded Memaw forgot her camera.


We had fun with our boy, even though we faded into the background when he got home and put his focus on playing. We always enjoy our birthday outings with the grandchildren. We love you, Thomas! Enjoy the Transformers!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute little shopping partner. He is lucky to have you as a memaw. Baylee is very excited about her shopping trip in 3 weeks! Believe me, she reminds me EVERY DAY!

Peggy said...

We're looking forward to our date with Baylee, too. Although, Papa said she might want it "just the girls".

Anonymous said...

Thomas is such a cute little boy! And always has been. I remember that curly head of his when Ashton was born and I thought he was the cutest thing ever!

Anonymous said...

He is such a doll. I bet he couldn't wait to rip those packages open. Remember how excited you would get as a kid? Your a good memaw and Robin is a good Papa...

angela | the painted house said...

That is such a fun tradition...wish my kids could experience that. But they do love the big brown truck!

Anonymous said...

Angela, do they get excited when they see the big brown truck anywhere or just in their driveway?