Monday, September 29, 2008

Rhyme Time

I was happily married and sharing the love in my heart with my husband when I wrote the sequel to A Girl's First Love for my Dad, Sugar, in honor of Father's Day.

Still A Girl's First Love

It's been over ten years ago
Since I wrote the poem for you,
That said you were a girl's first love
And today it still holds true.

Although my teen years are over,
It makes no difference that I'm grown.
I still cherish very deeply
The love you gave me there at home.

I'll always be a Daddy's Girl,
Though years come and go.
My love keeps getting stronger
For one of the dearest men I know.

Although you aren't the only man
Who's in my heart today.
You fill the same special spot
And there you'll always stay.

So often I get on my knees
And thank the Lord above,
That I've been blessed with Sugar
Who's still a girl's first love.

Peggy Chrusciaki, Circa 1976

4 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

You are making me miss my Daddy so much...and I want to see PaPaw so badly!

Anonymous said...

Keep the poems coming BB. I can't get enough. You have written so many beautiful ones. (do I smell another book coming?)

Anonymous said...

Angela, we'd all like for you to see PaPaw Thanksgiving! Any such luck? It seems like forever!!! Love you.

Sissy, I'm sure Daddy loved that poem as much as the first. I think a third might be in order:)

Anonymous said...

Sweet poem. I was always a Daddy's girl too.