Friday, September 12, 2008

Nearing Hunting Season - Woman Style

Patty and I are already counting the days to hunting season. It officially opens on November 1. However, if one enjoys bow season, the fun begins a month earlier. The Great White Hunter bought a crossbow recently so I am assuming Patty and I will have an extra month to enjoy.

Contrary to what the picture of me depicts, I will not be spending my weekends at the deer lease. I don't shoot Bambi. I don't eat Bambi, either. And a gigantic drawback to hunting is that you can't wear perfume. It alerts the prey of your presence. Therefore, deodorant is taboo, also. Cooking is allowed and I don't get that. Grilling a thick venison steak should scare off the deer more than the scent of Burberry. Then there's the accommodations. An outdoor shower in November? Even worse, an outdoor bathroom? An old, musty camper? No internet connections? Cooking in cramped quarters and sleeping near the hunter who left his deodorant at home? No, thanks. I'm not a happy camper.

Oh, but I love slumber parties! And that's exactly what Patty and I do every hunting season. We luxuriate in the absence of a schedule - meals, laundry, etc. - and indulge in free time and all that we enjoy filling those minutes with. It might be shopping (we usually fit in some Christmas shopping), reading, playing games or doing puzzles. The point is, we don't have to be doing anything unless we want to. That's the beauty of it.

I know we just finished a week in a condo with total freedom to be lazy. It wasn't enough. I think my body is trying to tell me it is time to retire, to sleep late and stay up all night with a good book, to laugh often with friends, to empty my mind of any and all distressing things. I plan to listen. Sorry Bambi, but I love hunting season.

3 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Even with the camo on, you still look unnatural with that bow!

Glad you are getting your regular girl weekends back. They sound like so much fun!

And the worst part of Robin's weekend? The vienna sausages. BARF!

Anonymous said...

Sarah Palin has nothing on my Sissy!

Anonymous said...

LOL Donna!

I think Bambi tastes good.

Wow! I have a lot of reading and catching up to do.