Friday, September 05, 2008

Galveston, Part 1

First off, I want to thank Allison for keeping my blog rolling while I was on vacation. The condo only had access to the internet at the activities center and it was too much trouble. Guess I'm not as addicted as I thought! Thanks, Allison. That little diva prancing on this site in her cute pink boots and prissy hip moves was a sensation.

Our small entourage, three cars driving in from three different directions, arrived in Galveston last week for some girl fun. Gustav, of course, was a concern but we managed to have a great time in spite of all of his hot air. We met at a Mexican restaurant on Seawall Blvd. for dinner, then on to get groceries to stock the condo. I say stock, when actually we were keeping our purchases to a minimum since we knew there was a chance we'd have to evacuate. Oh Gustav, you men have a knack for ruining things.We had lunch at Joe's Crab Shack. I'm not into seafood so I ordered a hamburger. I'm sure not many people get this huge hankering for a hamburger and pull into Joe's Crab Shack. Odd, but we had a ball as only four women out together can have.
Donna fell in love with this giraffe purse, the "latest rage", so I'm told. She used tremendous restraint and left it on the shelf after Shelley told her it could be bought cheaper elsewhere. Now, we all want one.
Shelley and Patty were admiring all the goodies this store had to offer. Patty bought a pink leather purse and flip-flops for her and me. Donna walked out with the cutest pair of yellow sandals (after paying for them, folks). We browsed several shops on the historic Strand and indulged in an ice cream stop that beat the heat for us tired ladies.

As is the custom on girls vacations, we exchanged pajamas. Patty and I had exchanged ours before the trip, but we had fun watching Shelley and Donna open the pajamas they bought for each other. Actually, the pajamas turned out to be sexy little nighties that would be more appropriate on a second honeymoon trip. They treated us to a style show as they modeled their new nighties and there was so much talking and laughing and we hated for the night to end.

One morning we had coffee on the balcony and spotted some field mice, a rabbit, and a coyote. He was too quick for my camera, but I tried. Patty entertained us all by feeding the seagulls some of the pecan bread we'd picked up at Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana. Those hungry birds aren't shy and came right to the railing to get their treats.

More to come on Galveston, Gustav, and iffy plans as the storm appears to have us on its radar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

angela | the painted house said...

Glad to hear that you all had fun despite that bully Gustav--and stayed safe!

Anonymous said...

I forget......was the laughter due to the nightie style show?

We enjoyed ourselves didn't we! I can't remember having such a good time. Oh yeah. Girls night out:)

Peggy said...

Sissy, you and Shelley looked hot in your nighties. Not a laughing matter, just a matter of admiration.