Saturday, September 27, 2008

Rhyme Time

I'll be sharing poetry every few days and giving a brief history about each one. This one, A Girl's First Love, is probably not the first poem I ever wrote, but the first one I kept. I was sweet 16 when I wrote this in honor of my Dad and slipped it under his bedroom door after he went to bed. I awoke to his hugs and kisses the next morning, assuring me how much he appreciated it.

A Girl's First Love

They say a girl's first love is a happy one
Filled with everything nice and gay.
They say it happens in her teenage years
On a very special day.

But a girl falls in love when she opens her eyes
And looks in her father's face.
A man who dressed his baby girl
In flannel gowns and lace.

A man who spent each spare moment
Teaching you how to sing.
A man who's brought more happiness
Than any man can bring.

You love this man who spent a day
Teaching you how to ski,
And you burst with pride and glad to say
He really belongs to me!

He's watched you grow out of some childish things
That we all must overcome.
He's watched you bite your nails, tease your hair,
And smack a wad of gum.

He's also sat through a long row of hours
While you were on a date.
Maybe he's afraid that little boy
Has taken your heart to break.

Your tears may fall, your world turns sad,
You think life is wrong.
But Dad is waiting patiently
To cheer you up with a song.

Oh a girl's first love never dies,
It lingers on forever.
Because a girl's first love is her father,
And he will leave her never.

Peggy Chrusciaki 1966

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish my father could read something like that. Hug and kiss him more than ever BB. I wish I could.

You are so talented, awesome.

angela | the painted house said...

This has always been one of my favorite poems of yours. It captures the innocence of youthful writing and it shows your talent...and I'm a daddy's girl!

Anonymous said...

I love that poem as well. You are soooo gifted.

Sherri Campbell said...

Peggy you verbalized beautifully the very special bond tween you and your poppy. I have fond memories of him "listening' to me sing and play my guitar. I thought I was much better than I was - thanks to your dad. lol. Reality set in - only after they moved to EAST Tex.... and I no longer saw them again. I remember a very fond memory. He allowed Donna to plan a surprise birthday party for me at your home (honestly - you may have been married when I was 16)...but a group of friends lined your living room, to play and sing together. My brother on drums even. What a memory that will always be to me!

Caryl McAdoo said...

Loved your poem to your daddy!