Saturday, July 07, 2007

Happy Anniversary, Jerry & Sharon

Allison's in-laws, Jerry and Sharon, are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary this weekend with a party hosted by their children.

As part of the celebration, Allison collected tributes from their friends and family, recent and not-so-recent pictures of their life together, and compiled it all into a beautiful scrapbook. Now that the secret is out - they were presented the scrapbook last night - I can share the poem I wrote for the occasion. My daughter, Angela, suggested that I post it and I said I would after the scrapbook was revealed.

Jerry is a pastor and much of their life was traveling around the country and ministering in various churches. Their 40-year marriage produced three children and five grandchildren (so far?). Happy Anniversary, Jerry and Sharon. May the Lord bless you with many, many more years together.

Take This Journey

Take this journey with me
In the early morning light.
Our future shines before us,
Hold my hand and squeeze it tight.

The path may not be easy
As we travel far and wide,
But God's directing every step
And you're close by my side.

Take this journey with me
As we proclaim the written word.
Share a ministry from heaven.
The dearest ever heard.

Together we'll have a family,
Our lives will be complete.
As we love and lead and cherish
Three little sets of feet.

Take this journey with me,
Life is sweeter when it's shared.
Embrace the love that's offered,
Know how much I've always cared.

And when this journey's over,
Our eternal home's in sight;
Praise God He traveled with us
From morning unto night.

6 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

So beautiful! I'm sure they love it too! I can't wait to hear how the weekend festivities go...Randee is one special daughter-in-law.

Peggy said...

I agree, Angela. I'm so proud that both of my daughters are wonderful daughters-in-law.

Anonymous said...

I'm anxious to hear what they thought of the scrapbook. It sure was a beautiful one.

This is a lovely poem Peggy. I still have it in my "peggy" e-mail folder.

Sharon and Sherry a so fortunate to have such beautiful and thoughtful daughter in laws

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem!!!

Anonymous said...

I feel like a surogate mother handing over that book. Thank you for the special poem you wrote for the occasion. It was so very meaningful. It made me cry!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem.

I remember having you write poems for special occasions. Sounds like you are at perfect form again.