Thursday, July 12, 2007

Our Story - Part One

Note: Our Story is one I've always felt needed to be told. Although many variables are in place here, it's mainly a story of how all the circumstances at the time led to a lasting friendship. It includes the mention of pain, loss, uncertainty, and fear, but it is about Friends.

"My name is Peggy and I lost my husband to cancer in June."

It was August 19, 1993. I'm convinced that I was introducing myself at a grief recovery seminar out of divine intervention. Yes, I'd planned on attending; I needed to learn how to cope with my loss, discover what was expected of grief, and how to continue living my life without my beloved husband. What I hadn't expected, was to have my world further rocked earlier that day with devastating news about my company. This, at a time when I was in the middle of moving the business to a new location due to circumstances out of my control.

I was shaken to my core with the news I'd learned. That news is not important now, except to reveal how I almost didn't go to the seminar. I remember driving there, out of a need to confront my grief, yet my mind so boggled by the day's events. I'll never forget how my foot shook so badly as I tried to keep it on the gas pedal as I headed to Duncanville for the seminar. The thought of food made me sick and I arrived there with an empty, churning stomach.

Much of that first meeting was a blur. The counselor went around the room asking us to give our name and tell who we lost, and when. There were a few who had lost a spouse like me, others who were dealing with the passing of a parent or other family member. In my muddled mind, I clearly heard one introduction and related to her. I could feel her pain.


"I'm Cheryl and I lost my husband to cancer in June."

I lost my husband to cancer in June. Besides saying almost the exact words I'd said, she also caught my attention when her voice, choked with tears, broke as she shared that one sentence. I knew instantly that we were in the same place, feeling the same loss, and hoping the seminar would show some magic way to take the hurt away.

After the introductions, the counselor explained the need to tell our stories, over and over if need be, so that healing could begin. She started with the first person seated in the semi-circle and asked that they tell their story. This continued until time to close the meeting. To my surprise and relief, my mind released some of its shock and preoccupation as I listened to all the expressed pain that surrounded me that night. I was definitely not alone.

I left that night without speaking to anyone, not even the woman who had caught my attention because we shared the same loss. I've learned that grief can be so draining. I wanted to reach out, but I discovered many times that I felt I had nothing to give. I was an empty vessel.

The following week, our second meeting, it was my turn to tell my story. I told about a fairytale marriage that had been cut short by pancreatic cancer. I told about the sheet metal business I'd been left with, not the ideal company for a woman. I shared my hurts and those of my children, how I became a nurse over night, and about my husband's Polish heritage, our age difference, and how none of it was ever an obstacle in our marriage. As the meeting ended, a man in the group told me how much he admired my strength and courage to continue running a sheet metal business in the absence of my greatest support. I thanked him, and left. There was so much on my mind that I still hadn't spoken to the woman named Cheryl.

The third week of the seminar arrived and it was Cheryl's turn to tell her story. Before she began, this woman who had never met me before turned to me and said, "You won't believe the similarities in our stories."

She had my rapt attention and I was stunned by what she revealed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sissy, I'm already crying. During such a horrible time in your life, you were given one of the greatest gifts you could have ever received. I'm so glad you made yourself go to the meeting that night. I remember the pain you were in with all that was going on. That man was correct. You are a strong lady. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I want to start by saying that no one could ever tell me this wasn't a miracle. When we found (and still find after almost 14 years) so many similarities, it was astounding. But before the road to finding these was the real miracle. I had told my mother, who was staying with me for a few weeks after Tony's death, that if I could only find one friend at these meetings. I had a lot of friends, but that one special one was missing. Someone who truly understood when I cried, why I cried, when I hurt, why it was so tormenting. When I was quiet, what I was thinking. When I chuckled to myself, that person could feel the real happiness I was feeling at the time because of a quick flash of a wonderful moment spent with Tony. But more important someone I could feel for, deep down feel in moments that her loved one was missing an important event. I needed to feel for that person too. Maybe that is why going to Angela's graduation, the weddings, the babies, your family gatherings, have always meant the world to me. I have been around plenty of get togethers with other people, but yours always meant so much more. Best friends just doesn't describe us. God's gift is more accurate. This has all been felt without similarities.

Anonymous said...

don't stop there!!

No one can tell a story like you. I am so greatful for our Cheryl. She is such a blessing.

angela | the painted house said...

Thank you for telling this story--finally! Even I learned something new...I always thought that you both interacted after the first meeting. Thank goodness you both kept going to the meetings after the first one.

Cheryl has been not only a blessing for you but the whole family. We love you, Cheryl!

Anonymous said...

I was nearly in tears when I read this earlier today. You are such a good writer that I felt as if I was reading a really good book but I knew this was your story, your life. I know very little about your loss and about Cheryl. But I know y'all became close after your husband died and that there were similarities. And similarities there are! And I'm sure I will learn of more. I truly believe meeting her and becoming friends with her was/is divine intervention too. God always knows just what to give us.

Anonymous said...

And we sometimes think God has forgot but instead it's us who forgets all the blessing give to us. All of you have started my day with such a warm and loved feeling. You all mean so much to me, there are no words. Thank you God for my BB