Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Birthday, America

With the deluge of rain we've been having, Robin and I made no concrete plans for July 4th. Since we both work, staying home and being lazy sounded great. I usually don't get a day off from laundry, so this was a treat in itself.

I slept late and coffee was ready when I finally got my lazy self out of the bed. I downloaded two more games of the hidden object variety, and Robin and I played them for awhile. I tease him that his ADD kicks in before he can finish a game and he tells me I'm addicted because not only do I finish them, I play them over again.

In the afternoon Robin suggested that we find a Dairy Queen and get a sample of the waffle treats we've seen on their commercials. What could be more American than Dairy Queen? But they are hard to find unless one visits little country towns. Robin got on the internet and found one in Arlington, much to our surprise and delight. They have three flavors to choose from: chocolate sundae, strawberry, and turtle. We both chose turtle. The waffle bowl is rimmed in chocolate then filled with vanilla ice cream, which is garnished with caramel sauce, chopped nuts, and whipped cream. Not bad.

Another American staple is meat and potatoes. Tonight we ate prime rib and baked potatoes at Steak & Ale. Yummy. When asked if we wanted dessert we told our waiter we had already indulged. Like the saying goes: Life is short, eat dessert first. We did.

Tomorrow will be work as usual. But we enjoyed our day together, doing simple things and loving every minute of it.

2 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Glad you had a lazy day.

We have a DQ within walking distance of our new house. I smell trouble a-brewing...

Anonymous said...

I have a dairy queen a block from my office. I've only been there once. Don't know why. They have some good stuff.

Concrete plans......that's the only kind to make in this weather.