Sunday, July 29, 2007

Memory Lane






I'll fill you in on the Lambert Family Reunion, but first I want to take a stroll down memory lane. My family visited Arkansas many times during my childhood since my Dad's parents lived there. They owned and operated a gas station and grocery store. The old store is now a flea market, closed both times we stopped by. I've included pictures of the old place where I used to spend summers with my grandparents.


Another site that was thrilling for us kids was the Mazarn Creek. It was the community "swimming pool". The water has since been channeled to other areas so the water is quite shallow where we used to swim. There was a tree that leaned over the creek with wood steps nailed to it for climbing. Once we climbed the tree, there was a long rope just waiting for us to grab and swing out over the water, then dropping into the cool, clear creek. When a lot of us were there for the weekend, we usually had our baths at the creek in preparation for church the next morning. We'd see fish and snakes and old logs near the water's edge and none of it scared us as kids. I didn't even dip my toe in the water on this trip. But there was a mother swimming there with her two young daughters.


Another picture is of me standing in front of the Levi Hospital in Hot Springs where I was born. The name of the hospital was a real eye-opener this trip. St. Joseph's was about a block away from our hotel, now abandoned and waiting to be turned into a retirement home. For some reason, I always thought I was born there. Not that I remember, mind you, but the name stuck in my mind. Maybe it was because my aunt used to work there, but I swore I was born at St. Joseph's. I told my Dad I wanted to walk there and get a picture. That's when the lie I've lived for all these years was exposed. I was actually born at Levi Hospital. I hope I'm not scarred for the remainder of my life!


Dad told me that not only was I born at Levi, but the doctor was Dr. Clue. I'm glad it wasn't Dr. Clueless. At any rate, I found Levi Hospital, stood by the sign, and Robin snapped the picture. It was strange to think that the last time I was there was as a tiny newborn baby girl. I must be getting old for this bit of nostalgia was present.


Robin and I "snuck" away from the cousins for awhile and drove through Hot Springs National Park. It was a beautiful, scenic drive. The pictures with mountains in the background were taken there.


Tomorrow I will add reunion pictures and tell a little something about the event. I won't bore you with news about people you don't know. What a lovely trip and getting home is nice too. Glad I was missed!


5 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Great photos! Especially the "scenic drive" photo of Robin in the parking lot with trash bin.

Glad you all had fun!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures of Arkansas.

I always thought I was born at St. Joseph's hospital in downtown Houston. Everytime I drove by I'd think about being born there. Come to find out, just a year ago, I was actually born at Herman Hospital, same hospital where Clay worked and that Ashton was born. But I felt like I had lived a lie too!! That's so funny that we feel the same way!! haaaaaaaa

Anonymous said...

I was born 11-17-50 at the Naval Hospital in Charleston, SC (Dad was in the Marines and Mother was in the Navy) Mother & Tommy, my step-dad went by there and filmed it on one of their many trips from 88-97. It is now used for storage for the hospital. (I was born the same year as Peggy but she is 10 months older than me; I had to add that! Ha Ha) Mother's High School in Spring City, PA is now a Senior Citizen Center now. I like walks down Memory Lane.

Anonymous said...

I mentioned yesterday during the discussion about Peggy being born in a different hospital from the one she thought, that I'd even feel bad if I now was told I wasn't born at home. Please don't tell me there isn't a Santa Claus!

Anonymous said...

Nice pics mom. The lies we believe all our lives, what a sham.