Monday, July 30, 2007

Family Reunion






Hot Springs was the perfect setting for the family reunion. We stayed at the Velda Rose hotel and used one of the meeting rooms for our Saturday night gathering. When Robin and I arrived on Friday afternoon, my cousin Lou was waiting outside with her grandson. I jumped from the car and embraced them both.


Lou is my Dad's cousin, but she is only three months older than me. When I spent time in Bonnerdale with my grandparents, Lou and I would play for hours. We lost contact somewhere along the way and I learned she had always worried about me since she knew my grandmother had instructed my grandfather to put me in the cellar for crying. "I cried many times over that, just knowing you were in that dark place with spiders," she told me. "No," I assured her, "I quit crying when he got close to that scary cellar, but was dumb enough to start crying again after we returned to the house." That's when my grandmother would insist that I go into the cellar again, and my crying would stop.


I stayed in her hotel room until well past midnight that first night as we shared with other cousins I'd never met, some of our childhood antics. There was the time we spent the night with Aunt Cle. The back bedroom was scary to both of us, but I was especially afraid of the deer rug on the floor. After all, I was the city girl. Aunt Cle came in the room, jumped up and down on the rug to prove it wasn't alive and wouldn't devour me. Still, I cowered in fear. Her husband finally had to drive me back to my grandparents' home. This story produced much laughter from us that night. Lou was doubled over in laughter at remembering Aunt Cle jumping all over that rug.


Lou and I ate all our meals together and spent every moment with each other except for when Robin and I went to the National Park. She has this marvelous sense of humor and I admire her greatly. She was born with Charcoal Marie Tooth, a crippling malady that has confined her to a wheelchair. But Lou and her chair refuse to be confined. She uses that electric wheelchair much as we do a car to get wherever she wants to go. She planned the reunion, rolling along those almost two miles to downtown Hot Springs, to scout out hotels. On our walk through the town, I was surprised how many people along the way would stop to say hello to her. She knows so many people and is so active. She was presented an engraved clock at the reunion for all her diligent work.


Saturday night festivities were so much fun. We visited with many cousins, mostly distant, and learned much of the history of the Lambert and Ewing families. We had a catered buffet of a variety of sandwiches, dips and chips, and chicken strips. My sister, Donna, baked a cake and I made two kinds of cookies.


Fortunately, over half of my cookies were eaten because when I awoke on Sunday morning, I found the cookies totally infested with ants. And we were on the 7th floor! We had to throw out all the cookies. What a waste of time, energy and ingredients! Especially those expensive pecans. Donna's delicious cake escaped the invasion.


I will end this reunion tale with a funny story about my Dad. He had showered and then let my Mother use the bathroom to get ready. He was still hot from the shower so he stretched out on the bed in the nude to cool off. Suddenly, there was a knock just as the door to his hotel room opened, and there stood the maid. She hadn't given him any response time since she knocked and opened the door at the same time. I told him she will remember seeing him next time, he said "but not my face". I hope he's learned to engage the chain lock from now on.



23 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny about your Dad! You'd think those maids would give you time to respond to their knocks but they don't.

Did your Grandmother really lock you in the cellar??? That's awful!!

I'm glad you had a good time. It's always fun to visit with family and talk about old times.

Anonymous said...

Sissy, couldn't you at least cut me out of that first photo?

Yes, Lou is an amazing woman. I am so glad to have gotten to spend some time with her.

Peggy said...

My late sister in law, Michelle, told me she saw her Daddy naked once when he was in the hospital, and it wasn't a pretty site! This story of your Dad made me think about this and laugh so hard! Glad you had a good time. This is from Jan, couldn't publish it under her name

Peggy said...

Jan, my Dad doesn't know it, but when he was in the hospital I walked into his room and walked right back out, told my son to go in there and cover him up! He was asleep and didn't know the sheet was down and his hospital gown was up. They all look the same.

Peggy said...

Sissy, I posted that picture because I thought it was good of everyone. Cutting you out of a picture would be like cutting you out of our lives and it ain't gonna happen!

Anonymous said...

Did I look that fat? I'll never wear that top again. You want it?

Peggy said...

Sissy, you look great! I looked fat in my outfit! We all think we look fat. The top was so pretty on you so keep wearing it! I love you, Pretty Girl!

angela | the painted house said...

You vain ladies! I LOVE that picture of PaPaw with his two wives and two daughters. Donna, I've never seen you look bad--always beautiful! And, Mother, you do not look fat--always beautiful, too.

Funny story about PaPaw. And I love his quote, too.

Glad you all had fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Pee Paw, such a free spirit. You ladies need to hush about your beautiful bodies. Let's just be glad this wasn't held at a nudist colony. That's next year, pee pa will feel right at home. Am I the only one that hasn't seen pee paw's peeps?

Peggy said...

Thank you, girls. I think mine and Donna's problem is that we feel bigger in our clothes than we used to. Like I've always said, (yeah, here's my famous quote) I don't care if it's a size 6 or a size 16, if it's tight on you, you are miserable and feel fat.

Cristal, I was never put in the cellar, but it was threatened a time or two. My grandmother was tough and my grandfather was a saint. He was also hen-pecked and followed orders, even if he didn't agree with them. Many orders broke his heart.

Anonymous said...

That's SO sad about your grandfather! And so awful to feel threatened to be locked up for crying! Was this your Mom or Dad's parents? Now I'm just being nosy.

I'm glad y'all can laugh about seeing your Dad in the nude.....I saw mine over 20 years ago and I'm still traumatized over it. Thanks for the memories......

Anonymous said...

Oh, and none of you look fat!!

Peggy said...

Cristal, these were my Dad's parents. The cellar episode was a one-time threat. But they owned a grocery store/gas station that stayed busy and my grandmother said I was too young for the shower at age 10, so she put me in a wash tub outside not far from the gas pumps and all the activity. My Dad put a stop to that once he learned of it. I was humiliated.

Those are the only two bad memories I have of her. She was funny and I enjoyed getting her laughing. My Dad was her pride and joy. But many people in that area thought she was mean.

Anonymous said...

I never seen my Dad's frontal nudity, but I did walk in on my parents during the huchie kuchie. Didn't know what they were doing at the time, but when I got older it dawned on me. That's also wrong!

angela | the painted house said...

Donna, you saw NanNaw & PaPaw in the throes of lusty, hot love? Oh, my!

And, Cristal, my great-grandmother's name was Bertha if that give you an idea of the kind of lady she was. NanNaw has some good mother-in-law stories about her...it must have been hard being married to her "pride and joy."

Peggy said...

Donna, glad it was you and not me. I don't want to see that! I know it happens, we all know it happens, but I don't want to be a witness, however brief.

Anonymous said...

I never acknowledged that I saw them in the act. So this is all our little secret.

Peggy said...

Oh please let me call them - better yet, a face-to-embarrassing-face encounter - and tell them that you remember barging in when they were bumping uglies. Since we're their kids, maybe we're not supposed to know about such things.

Mother told me that Daddy Carl walked in on them once.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet he was embarrased but didn't get on to them like our grandmother would have. I wish I had had a chance to get to know both of them better. I'll bet she was a hoot!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your Grandmother wasn't as bad as I thought she was and that you have good memories of her as well.

Walking in on your parents Donna?? Oh the horror!! I never walked in on my parents although we knew when they were doing it because they would go in the bedroom and look the door then a little while later they would appear again. Not obvious at all, huh?

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for suchnice things you have said. All my effort were well worth while, just to get to be with you girls was a special treat. I love you all.

Anonymous said...

We love you too, Lou.

Anonymous said...

Your grandma was spawned from...well I can't remember anything nice except telling me and Uncle Carl we had plenty of raw turnips, lol, we didn't need candy. So we would go sit out back and he would slice me little pieces. He was the greatest!!