Saturday, July 07, 2007

A Pick-Me-Up

Robin called me at work yesterday and told me to come home, prepared to leave again for a pick-me-up. He knows well the repercussions I've been dealing with at work from the machine being down. Although it is fixed for now, the down time caused a substantial loss of money. Operating until receivables increase has been tough. This isn't a new situation, I've dealt with this problem many times. But it does get old, and it wears me down.

Knowing me as he does, Robin took me straight to the perfume counter. I enter into some kind of heavenly bliss when in the presence of so much perfume. It is a passion of mine, an indulgence that my friends and family satisfy. I immediately start sniffing all the different fragrances, but with an idea that I know what I want and need to replenish.

Patty had loaned me a bottle of Pure Poison to try. I loved it and wore it four days straight, an act that is very unusual for me. I do not have a signature fragrance, but prefer having a variety of scents. Thus, explaining my 125+ bottles of perfume, few of which I bought for myself. I can thank Patty for most of them since she shares my passion for good smells.

Since Robin wasn't crazy about Pure Poison and after I checked out the price, I decided to get Oscar de la Renta. I had a teeny bit left in a bottle and it's a fragrance I enjoy wearing once in awhile. Robin assured me the price didn't matter, but being the considerate person I am, and the fact that I wanted more Oscar before I ran out, I went the cheaper route.

It surprises me that Oscar de la Renta has gone down in price. When I first started wearing it years ago it could only be purchased through Neiman Marcus and the real perfume was over $200. It was packaged so beautifully and the bottle had a crystal top. It became my favorite fragrance for awhile with its fresh, powdery scent. Now, it can be bought in a simple spray bottle at CVS and Walgreens. So, what used to be some fancy stuff has now been reduced to the level of musk and Tabu. Almost.

When I wear Oscar to work, my son, Ron, tells me I have "an old woman smell". Okay, it isn't the latest in fragrances, but old woman? He has opinions about my other perfumes too. Once in awhile I will hear that my perfume smells good. Most of the time, though, he politely asks, "what is that %@#& you're wearing?". I've been forced to tell my son that he wasn't on my mind when I selected my perfume for the day and I'm sorry it offends him. For very selfish reasons, I wear perfume for myself. I even wear it to bed. I even wear it to bed when Robin is out of town.

So, today I have that "old woman" smell and I'm enjoying it very much. Maybe tomorrow I will wear my latest Prada or Insolence, but for now I am enjoying a pick-me-up by my thoughtful husband who knows which buttons to push most of the time. Thank you, Babe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was sweet of Robin. What absolutely amazes me is how you know every, and I mean every, scent you have. I would love to put you in a contest on perfume smells. You would be salewoman of the year if you worked in a perfume department. Actually that would have been a good business for you and I had we not be so DEAD SET on working with used cars and sheet metal....lol lol only us...

Anonymous said...

My Dad is allergic to perfume, as in he stops breathing, so my Mom and I never wore any. Then after I left home I wore Obsession for years and years. Got tired of it and just started wearing White Diamonds. Do you have that in your collection and what do you think of it??

We also couldn't wear fragranced lotions or burn candles, etc. After I left home a whole new world opened up to me!!

Peggy said...

Oh Cristal, I don't know what I'd do if I lived with someone who was allergic to my passion. Guess I'd have to keep him heavily medicated.

Tell Mike to go buy you some Pleasures Delight. It's the least he can do for not noticing you were on fire!

angela | the painted house said...

That is a lot of perfume! I get overwhelmed when I have more than 5 bottles at a time. I don't feel like I can use them all up before they go bad. I can thank you for all the perfume I own now. I haven't bought a bottle for myself...well, ever, I think!

Anonymous said...

Robin is a nice guy.

I'm sorry you have had some difficult times lately. I wish I were near you to take you perfume shopping. Or, maybe for something you need. lol

Anonymous said...

I told Mike about Pleasures Delight. We'll see if he "remembers" it....