Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Our Story - Part Five




The Void

There is a void that's deep and vast
Where temporary joys are cast.
My lame attempt to fill the space
That was once your own special place.

There is a love you helped to grow,
Still in the void, nowhere to go.
It can't be shared or returned,
Or disregarded or even spurned.

It hovers there, a lingering ache,
Needing you, but it's too late.
This cold and lonely empty pit,
Will it ever fill, a perfect fit?

Life is never as it seems,
There are no more hopes and dreams.
What's good today, it soon will pass,
For nothing really good will last.

There is a void, I feel it still!
Without you I know I always will.
I try so hard to fill that spot,
My pain reminds me that it's not.

Within that void where my love stays,
Remembering the joys of yesterdays;
I hold you close within my heart,
Where my love lives, we're not apart.

In loving memory of Chezzy and Tony.

All who had attended the grief seminar were invited back in the fall for a one-night meeting on how to handle the holidays. Cheryl and I were there. Like everyone else, we had wondered how we'd get through those first holidays without the one who had been such a big part of them.

Tony and Chezzy really got into Christmas. Cheryl and Tony had a tradition of sitting in the floor around the tree on Christmas morning and taking their time with the gifts. As each one was opened, a story was told about why that particular gift, the shopping spree, and all the excitement that surrounded the giving of that gift. Chezzy usually brought his gifts in on Christmas Eve, each uniquely wrapped, and so many of them that I was opening gifts long after everyone else had finished. It was not the absence of gifts that concerned us, but the love and attention of the one who had shopped for them. That Tony and Chezzy were missing an important family celebration tore into us, too.

Weeks before Chezzy died I happened to think of his Christmas stocking with "Dad" on the cuff. I burst into tears over a simple stocking. It would not be hanging on the fireplace with the others and that thought was more than I could bear.

Another concern we had was Christmas cards. How were we going to send out holiday greetings without putting our husbands' names on them? That very subject was brought up in the seminar. Our counselor said that if the thought of omitting a name hurt too much, don't send cards this year. How simple! We hadn't thought of that and it relieved one burden for us. No Christmas cards from us that year.

Cheryl and I had other ways of helping each other with the "firsts". Angela and her Daddy would shop for our Christmas tree every year, and decorate it while I busied myself with Christmas shopping. Cheryl came over on that first Christmas and helped Angela and I trim the tree. And, on Cheryl's first wedding anniversary without Tony, I sent her three roses to her work. She'd told me how he sent a rose for every year until it got so expensive, and then he would send three every year. I enclosed a card with the flowers that read, "I know Tony would want you to have these."

I've mentioned how pampered Cheryl and I were. Although it makes for a wonderful life and marriage, there are negative consequences. Being carried around on a rose petal does not prepare one for the solitary life of a widow. Tony had always enjoyed paying the bills, had his own organized system, and Cheryl never had to worry about it. Now, she did. Chezzy had always filled my car, taken care of simple things out of love, and was the backbone of our business. Cheryl and I now had all the responsibilities that we once shared with our partner. The adjustments were both agonizing and rewarding.

I picked up the phone one day and heard Cheryl's excited squeal. "Peggy, listen to this! I bought a new vacuum cleaner today and I assembled it all by myself!"

One might think it silly to sit on the phone and listen to the roar of a vacuum cleaner. I didn't think it was silly. The sound I heard meant that Cheryl was taking steps to build her new life. It meant that she had accomplished a job that Tony would have done had he been there. It was progress that I heard, not a vacuum cleaner.

Some time later, I called her and told her I'd ordered Caller ID and connected it to my phone all by myself. Cheryl ordered one, too, and called me with the same announcement. It was during this time that I began to give myself a weekly challenge. It usually involved going to dinner by myself, or any other activity that made me uncomfortable. I felt awkward going to a nice restaurant and asking for a table for one. It's such a simple thing, but it was a challenge I needed to meet. In time, I was able to boldly ask for a table for one.

Cheryl introduced me to Yahtzee and it quickly became our favorite game. We'd sit at her table and play for hours. We still do when we take our annual vacation together. In those early years, we'd play our game and it was often interrupted with conversation and we'd forget whose turn it was. It was often interrupted by tears, too, and we'd sit there and revisit the beautiful life we once had.

Here's a sample of some of the conversations we'd have:

"When I was growing up in Michigan, I had this dog named Kookie . . ."

"Kookie?" I'd ask with a shocked voice. "I had a calico cat named Kookie!"

Another time I told her I had asked my parents for a sewing machine as a graduation present. Cheryl's mouth dropped as she told me she had also received a sewing machine for graduation. It was mentioned because we thought it an odd request for a gift, but we'd asked for the same thing.

"Chezzy loved to read," I told Cheryl. "He read mostly biographies or history related books."

"Tony did, too. He was especially a World War II buff and had a collection of books on it."

"Chezzy had a biography on Hitler, and other books about the war." We just stared at each other, shaking our heads.

"I used to be a bedwetter," I confided.

"I was, too," Cheryl said.

"I stopped at age seven. How old were you?"

By the look on Cheryl's face, I knew the answer before it left her lips. "Seven."

"Why are we still surprised?" I asked her.

The depressing task of sorting through medical bills and insurance policies, probating a will, and sending death certificates to everyone who required it, was another chore Cheryl and I shared. And sharing it made it so much easier. Cheryl had one insurance company refusing to pay Tony's medical bills. Because of his disability, he was also covered by Medicare. As often happens when two insurance companies are involved, one wants to put the burden of paying on the other one. When it didn't happen, the hospital was demanding payment from Cheryl.

"Don't pay them," I told her firmly. "You have paid every premium and that insurance company has to cover the medical bills."

To our relief, the problem was finally solved to Cheryl's satisfaction and she was relieved of the debt. Discussing these issues with someone going through the same thing is very comforting.

Thankfully, the time came when the phone calls in the middle of the night were less frequent, and we could be heard laughing instead of crying. Healing was taking place. There were still bad days ahead, but we were making progress. We started spending so much time together doing fun stuff like shopping, eating out, and having sleepovers with many games of Yahtzee.

A really delightful evening was one we spent being frivolous. We had pictures made at Glamour Shots. They did our hair and really caked on the makeup and we looked flawless through the filtered lens. We really strutted our stuff in feathered boas and jewels. Afterwards, we went to dinner at Spaghetti Warehouse. While waiting for a table, we were able to examine ourselves in the big mirror mounted near the entrance. This might be the first time that real laughter erupted from us. I don't know if the lighting in the restaurant was different or what, but Cheryl and I looked like we'd just gotten off work. And not very reputable work, at that.

And, although we felt as if we had discovered every similarity between us, we soon found out that if something happened to one of us, it would happen to the other one. This wonderful, comfortable, solid friendship, at times, looked like one big joke.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

so funny, can you imagine wearing that much make-up, pancake face. I Love You Cheryl.

Anonymous said...

Sissy, are you writing this as you go along, or is it already in written form and you are just dishing it our little by little?
By the way, I wish I had quit wetting the bed at 7 :(

Anonymous said...

:(

That's better from the major bed wetter!

Peggy said...

Donna, I started writing it last week and got so involved that I finished it. It's in 10 parts so far, but I may have to make more parts out of them so they will be shorter. It's been like therapy all over again.

Peepot! I love you!

Anonymous said...

I was going to be first to post, got side tracked. Didn't realize this would be so interesting to other people....but I love it....it actually feels so good to relive all of this with my BB. Still never tired of hearing both our stories and remembering how blessed we were to have each other then (AND OF COURSE NOW).....Peggy has mentioned I could be a guessed blogger. I might have to do that as these comments from me are getting longer and longer.

I didn't know Donna was a bed wetter....SO WAS MY BROTHER....my poor mom had her hands full, but I won't get into that...

Randee we were so caked with make up. The thing is when we left your mom's house for Glamore Shots, we both wore sunglasses as neither of us had makeup on..then to see ourselves at Spagetti Warehouse! I am sure is was very exaggerated with the lights as we all know what BEAUTITIES your mother and I are....but we did get a lot of looks, think maybe they were laughing?

I had already gone to a restaurant by myself and kept telling your mom to do the same. That was hard, but after a while when you sit and watch some other people (couples fighting, kids throwing food) you are glad to have solitude. That was a BIG step for both of us. Tony and I would always get such good service as the waiteress (or waiter, not in a bad way..) always enjoyed Tony. He always told me they work so hard, don't give them a hard time.

love you too Randee!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you should post one of the glamour shot pictures.

Did you know Clay had a bed wetting problem? He doesn't read this does he??? haaaaaaaa Oh, do I have some stories!!

Peggy said...

Cristal, should I invite him to my blog? I doubt he could take another one.

When we lived in a 2-bedroom house, I had to share a room with my three brothers. I remember peeing on my little brother. He probably asked for it.

Anonymous said...

LOL!! Clay and I shared a room until we moved to the house in Houston. I was about 7. I can't imagine sharing it with THREE brothers though.

angela | the painted house said...

Mom,good for you for peeing on one of your brothers!

Cheryl, yes, you are right...sometimes eating alone is SO MUCH better than with screaming children!

Enjoying the story!

Anonymous said...

I'll bet I wet longer than anyone reading this blog. Not proud of it, but it's probably true.

Peggy said...

Bed wetting is inherited and therefore in our genes. We can't help our gene pool. And, being a bedwetter isn't something to be ashamed of. Being in your second childhood is, and that's where I am!

Anonymous said...

Sissy, are you saying you are a bed wetter in your second childhood?

angela | the painted house said...

Only when she is laughing or coughing or jumping on a trampoline. Did I cover everything, Mom?

Peggy said...

That about sums it up. No bedwetting yet, but if I cough and walk at the same time - oops!

angela | the painted house said...

Was Cheryl's Kookie "lost" in a move like your Kookie?

Peggy said...

I doubt it, Angela. The "lost" one was another calico cat named Kookie after the first one. Its disappearing act was cruel and heartless. Sort of reminded me of Brian.