Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Happy Birthday, Donna!


A heartfelt Happy Birthday to my beautiful sister. What a joy it's been having her in my life. She has a lovely alto voice and we used to harmonize while doing dishes together. It made the chore so much easier. We swapped clothes, shared thoughts, laughed and cried together.


My Sissy is such a good person! I admire her strength, for she has gone through some bad times and survived. I admire her work ethics - she's always been a valuable employee, and now a wonderful asset in the business she owns with her husband and a partner. She's a spiritual person with so much goodness in her heart. And where she has really touched my own heart is by the way she has worn her title of "Aunt" so perfectly. What a positive influence she has been in the lives of my children and they adore her.


Isn't this picture of her so beautiful? She's always had this gorgeous smile and laughter that I have envied, but I still love her very much. Happy birthday, Sissy! May all your dreams come true!

My Little Sister, Donna
I really don't remember
When she arrived upon the scene.
And I was much too young to know
What her presence there would mean.

But at some point I noticed her
And we've bonded through the years.
Through childhood and adulthood,
Sharing all our hopes and fears.


My little sister, Donna,
Has made my world a better place.
Inside, she's just as beaitiful
As her outward style and grace.


From little girls to women,
How we've grown along the way.
From dolls to very grown-up cares,
She's in my heart all through the day.


My precious little sister,
My friend above all others.
Imagine having lived our lives
With only our three brothers!


In the role of the Big Sister
She has often played the part,
Giving love and understanding
When I had a heavy heart.


We've been there for each other
And I know we'll always be.
My little sister, Donna,
Oh, how dear she is to me!



15 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Happy birthday, Donna! I love you so much!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love you Sissy! This means so much to me having your feelings for me put on paper for all the world to read. I want the world to know how much I love you too! You need to let everyone read the other poem you wrote about me back in the 70's. It's also a keeper!

Peggy said...

Maybe a post about your '70s bra size will appear in the near future. What a good sport!

Hope you're having a delightful birthday, even though you are at work. I love you!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DONNA! What a beautiful poem, to a beautiful person. You always make me smile.

Love You,

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the best aunt. Thank you Donna for being such a great sounding board through the years. You probably didn't know it but you were really the voice of reason when my teen brain didn't want to believe my parents knew what they were talking about. Your wise council was received more readily because you were a little more removed from the situation. I am so glad you taught Angela and I to merely aspire to be the aunt you were and are to us. I love you!

angela | the painted house said...

Yes, post the bra poem...it has always been one of my favorite Peggy Poems!

"merely" aspire, Titer? It is a great challenge to be as great an aunt as Donna!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Aunt Donna! Seems like yesterday that you were teaching me how not to double dip when sharing ketchup with others. Just one of many lessons taught by my wonderful aunt. Love you! Ron

angela | the painted house said...

Ron, are you making fun of me, or were you at McDonald's that day too?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Donna!

Shelley said...

Well, my dear "Auntie", I couldn't let the day pass without adding my 2 cents. Even though I call you "Auntie", you have always been more like the big sister I never had. You always took the time to pick me up and include me in the family events......and the shopping trips weren't bad either!

Now as adults, I love the long talks we have. Thank goodness for free long distance!

So on your special day, I hope that you know how loved and valued you are as an "Aunti" and a "titter".

I love you!

Shelley said...

Well, my dear "Auntie", I couldn't let the day pass without adding my 2 cents. Even though I call you "Auntie", you have always been more like the big sister I never had. You always took the time to pick me up and include me in the family events......and the shopping trips weren't bad either!

Now as adults, I love the long talks we have. Thank goodness for free long distance!

So on your special day, I hope that you know how loved and valued you are as an "Aunti" and a "titter".

I love you!

Anonymous said...

shopping trips??? I think I missed out on that excursion.

Shelley said...

Oh yea, I know you know how we Pannell girls like to shop!!!!

Peggy said...

Shelley, welcome! I hope you tune in often. We girls have a blast. Check out Angela's blog at www.thepaintedhouse.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have visited Angela's blog as well, but was having trouble getting it to let me comment.

Donna gave me a tip to try......