Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Wedding Prayer

Lord, today she's getting married,
My daughter, my joy and pride.
That little girl I nurtured,
Such a beautiful, glowing bride.


A divine plan was placed in action
On Brian's first birthday morn.
As he blew out a single candle
His future wife was born.

They share more than just a birthday,
There's a love that's strong and true.
Let it grow and gently blossom,
Lord, this marriage belongs to you.

Please take her hand into yours,
And walk her down the aisle.
Perpetuate the love and warmth
That today is in her smile.

Deliver her into the arms
Of the man who loves her so.
Commit them to their promises
So they'll never let them go.

Wrap your arms around this man
As he takes my little girl.
May he handle her with tenderness,
Let no sadness touch their world.

Lord, today she's getting married,
How I want her life to be
As full of the love and happiness
That she's always brought to me.

Today it's satin instead of jeans,
And childhood toys are put aside.
My little girl's a woman now,
Lord, You're the Father of the bride.

1995, for my daughter, Allison. How honored I was to be asked by my two daughters to write a wedding poem to be included in their wedding program. Tomorrow I will post the one I wrote for Angela. It's still so vivid in my mind how beautiful both of them looked on their wedding day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This meant so much to me. There were so many people who couldn't read this at the ceremony because they wanted to save their tears for private.