Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Joys of Marriage, V

Romance: This subject will probably require several posts. Men and women are certainly different in their views on romance. I will call this post Romance: The Marriage Proposal.

All women will remember their marriage proposal. I am no exception. While mine was far from romantic, it was definitely unique. Robin showed up at my office one day and noticed there were donuts on the counter. He leaned over the sink eating one, and at the same time, reached into his pocket and pulled out the biggest diamond I'd ever seen. He said, "See if this fits."

Fits???? Of course it's going to fit! If I have to slather my finger in butter, you better believe it's going to fit! I felt like the wicked step-sister trying to fit into Cinderella's tiny slipper. Alas, the ring was too small but I wore it on my pinky finger until Robin had to pry it off to have it sized.

The point is, guys, a rock that big does not need a romantic delivery. It could have been buried in a can of dog food and I still would have said a resounding YES! So, you can skip the candlelight dinner and the flowers and soft music. Just think big when you go to the jewelers.

My last diamond ring from Robin was given with a little more imagination. It was hidden in a birthday mug full of peanut M&Ms. I thought that was cute. Actually, I thought the marriage proposal was cute. We have shared many laughs over it. And Robin knows I would have said yes regardless of the size of the diamond. As I stated before, I'm not the shallow one in this relationship.

3 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Aren't I lucky to have my mom pick out my ring 22 years before my wedding? And, I love it! It's perfect!

Peggy said...

I'm glad you love it. It thrills me to no end to see them on your finger!

Anonymous said...

Mom, you just set women back about 50 years. Love is not the size of the ring, it is the size of the bank account! For those who do not know me I am kidding. If you saw what my husband drove when I fell in love with him you'd understand.