Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Joys of Marriage, VII

Romance, The Wedding: Much to my surprise and delight, Robin combined his romantic and humorous sides and planned our small wedding. Since both my daughters had church weddings only 7 months apart, I was more than happy to leave all our wedding details to Robin. Often when we were together he'd say, "I know when you're getting married and you don't." No, I didn't know, not for a couple of months.

The time finally came when he told me where we were going and when, so I'd know how to pack. We would be married in Las Vegas and were leaving toward the end of March. I knew we had to set aside a day to get our marriage license so I did some quick calculating. It soon became obvious to me that we were getting married on April Fool's Day. I mentioned this to Robin, my very romantic partner, and he confirmed it with a laugh and an "isn't that funny???" I had to agree that it was not only funny, but very appropriate.

Robin reserved the wedding chapel in the Riveira hotel where we'd be staying. He arranged for the photographer, a beautiful bouquet for me, and the minister. It was all complete. All I had to do was walk down the aisle on his arm. The ceremony was quite long as our minister was long-winded. We listened to most of his words, stared into each other's eyes, and Robin winked at me often. He knows I melt when he does that.

After posing for pictures, Robin treated me to an elegant dinner and we received a lot of freebies by walking around carrying a bridal bouquet. It was a trip to remember.

A lot of people get married on Valentine's Day but how many opt for April Fool's Day? Maybe just Robin, but I found the date and his wedding preparations both amusing and romantically thoughtful. Ah, there's no fool like an April Fool!

No comments: