Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Joys of Marriage, VI

Romance, First Date: Robin and I have known each other on a business level since 1985. He owns a steel company and I own a sheet metal company so our paths were bound to cross. I've purchased metals from him for over 20 years now. On a personal level, about all I knew about him was that he was divorced (at least once), had two kids, rode a Harley, drank like a fish, and had wrapped his Corvette around a tree. I didn't have to scratch him off my list of available men because he was never on it. The fact that he was an interesting and appealing mix of Sam Elliot and Clint Eastwood wasn't enough to counter his wild side. So, I was surprised when he called me at work one day and said "this isn't a business call".

He told me he'd be in Houston that week on business and asked if I wanted to meet him in Galveston for the weekend - assuring me he was quite the gentleman. I discussed it with my son, Ron, who agreed Robin was a very nice guy. After much thought, I called him back and told him a weekend at the beach sounded great. I knew we'd have a fun time since we both have a sense of humor, but never expected it to go any further. I met him by the pool and to my horror, discovered the tattoo on his back. It was a pair of eyes and he had an appointment the next day to add some abstract features to it. It's a painful process but he sat there bravely and would smile and wink at me once in awhile.

I saw a totally different side to Robin that weekend. He still had practices that bothered me, but I saw a real gentleman who knew how to treat a lady. I also saw this endearing boy peeking through the rugged exterior. He told me that when I became a widow he knew he wanted to ask me out because he'd always admired mine and Chezzy's marriage. But he was giving me grieving and healing room. Also, he was nervous about asking me out. He said he'd asked for his daughter's advice and she told him to go for it, that the worst that could happen was a NO answer.

In spite of our differences, we were strongly attracted to each other. Our relationship grew and we grew individually. I remember the night we were having dinner in his favorite bar and grill, when he turned to me - fortified with scotch and water - and said "I love you". I knew it wasn't just JB talking, but he needed the JB to get the nerve to tell me. Fortunately, I hear it all the time now without the help of alcohol. Robin hasn't had a drop to drink in almost 6 years. He's come a long way.

He told me once that he was pulled to me because I was a Christian with substance. Maybe this wonderful man isn't as shallow as he'd like us to believe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never heard some of these stories. I think the most romantic thing about Robin is that he loves your grandchildren, mine in particular and especially.

Anonymous said...

I know you and I have had many, many discussions on our men and their behavior vs what kind of a relationship we had with the 2 polish men. It always makes us wonder.....WHY??....but I think you hit it on the head by saying "a little boy peeking out of through this rugged exterior", and we wanted to be the one to pull them through. I love that Robin is so much a part of a loving family. No strings, just being himself and loving and being loved by all of you.

angela | the painted house said...

What about the songs he sings in the morning? Does that pull at your heartstrings? :)