Saturday, August 25, 2007

A Date With Baylee






Baylee was the center of attention while on a birthday date with Memaw and Papa. She will be three on Monday and we thought we'd do lunch and shop in honor of it. When we got to my house, Papa gave her a horse on a keyring that he'd picked up for her. It's a "mad horse" who brays, then goes into a very annoying laugh. Allison is really going to appreciate this one!


For lunch, Baylee chose Steak & Shake due to her love for their grilled cheese sandwiches and fries. Papa thought her choice sounded good, so he ordered one too. I stuck with my favorite, their single burger with fries. Baylee wanted to sit with Papa and they colored while waiting for our food. After we finished eating, the excitement began to mount: it was time to stroll through Toys R Us and choose the perfect gifts.


I fully expected Baylee to run through the store, as any child would in such a well-stocked paradise, and point to everything in sight. It wasn't that way at all. She wanted to ride (confined!) in the basket and go straight to where the ponies were kept. I'd show her things on the way, but she was focused. "No, I want other ponies." Either she is a well trained and behaved young lady - and as Memaw, I'd have to agree - or her Mom told her to stop wanting when I drew the line.


We finally found the aisle where My Little Ponies were stabled, and Baylee's eyes glazed over as they darted from shelf to shelf. I saw a big pink pony on the lower shelf and pointed to it. Yes, she wanted to inspect it closer. It has a long pink mane, with lighted buttons at her hoof that animate her into song and movements. I looked at the price on the shelf and noted she was under her limit, even though she had fallen in love and was ready to go and free her pony from its box. So in my desire to be fair, I told her she could have something else. No, she was fine with what she had. I know she likes mama and baby animals so I suggested a box with three smaller ponies so the big pink pony could be the mother of three. She relented and accepted my offer.


We selected a transformer for Jude and a stuffed pink and white cow for Sophia, then paid for our treasures. I thought the purchase total was a little higher than I expected and later looked at my receipt and discovered the big pink pony with all the animation was actually $30 more than I thought it was. Oh well, Baylee is worth it.


On the way to her house, Papa had the job of untying all the horses from their box so she could hold them. We heard big pony's many songs and voices during the drive. Fortunately, we'd hid the mad horse until we got her home, then proudly asked her to show it to her family.


Baylee and her tender heart couldn't wait to hug Jude and Sophia and present them with their little gifts. She even gave Jude the "floppy" money I'd put in her card, a dollar for each year. In time I'm sure she will learn that floppy money goes so much farther than those hard coins.


We had a great time with the youngest of our grandchildren that we have taken out for a birthday treat. She did marvelous! And she's been anticipating this day since March when we took Jude out for his special day.


Baylee was recognized in her Sabbath School class today for turning three. We sang to her and the kids ate banana cake. Then, she had special music with her Mom in front of the big church. Allison began singing along with her to make sure she wasn't timid. Twice Baylee stopped singing, put her hand to her Mom's mouth and said, "I don't need your help". She sang part of the song then decided she was finished. Too cute.


Thank you for a wonderful day, Baylee! We love you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting all day for you to blog on your special day with Baylee. She is so sweet and like her sibblings, so well behaved and grateful. I know she loves her memaw and papa as much as they love her. Happy Birthday Baylee....

love you

angela | the painted house said...

What a doll she is in her pigtails! I'm glad you all had such a fun day. I need to talk to that girl about giving away her floppy money.

Anonymous said...

She is sound asleep in her bed with all her ponies beside her. She has such a fun day, thanks memaw for spoiling her. Let me know what I owe you for the "overage" you were not anticipating.

Peggy said...

Yes, the amount I went over, which was my own fault and no big deal, was actually $761.20, and I expect repayment ASAP.

Please, no other grandchildren call me and tell me I owe them another $700!

Anonymous said...

Baylee is so cute! And that's so funny about her holding Allison's mouth to sing by herself. She has quite a personality! And not shy at all!

I'm not a grandchild so I'll be happy to inform you that you owe me $700 and I expect that ASAP. Oh, you want a reason, hmmmmmm, give me a minute.....