Sunday, July 13, 2008

Stressed Spelled Backwards is Desserts

I agree that desserts would definitely be a boost to my mental health, but would do damage to my physical health, which is trying hard to remain in the spotlight. I had to deal with heart flutters all last week so the cardiologist increased my beta blockers. That's scary in itself since it also lowers blood pressure and mine has always been low enough.

But beta blockers are also good for those of us who have suffered a heart attack. It slows down the heart and relaxes the blood vessels that have been working overtime due to stress hormones. I looked back over this past week to find the cause of the added stress on my heart and there it was, plain as day. Would you care to guess? OK, here's a little hint. It's a non-profit organization.

But before everyone rushes to the podium with sermons on the tips of their tongues, please consider where I'm at right now. Closing the place down would cause much more stress right now. There are too many unknowns either way, I admit. I've researched the effects of too much stress hormones and I feel my best course of action right now is to focus on ways to reduce the stress through walking, exercise, and journaling. My sister-in-law Rita was over today and brought me a new journal, an eye mask, and a fragrant set of gel, mist and lotion to help me relax in a soothing bath. I was surprised and told her I'd just read that journaling was a good stress reducer. Often answers appear when our thoughts are put to paper.

Then there's my temperament. My reaction to stresses in my life might be overly exaggerated due to my doomsday approach to life. I get overwhelmed easily. Chores ahead of me look bigger than they actually are. I may try to fit five big things into my daily schedule, only to find there was time for ten. And more than likely, the due date on a bill hits me harder than it does most people. By now, you might be thinking I need my own little padded cell and you are probably right.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say is I know my limits and I'm pacing myself right now. When the danger signs hit, like last week, and last month, I'm paying attention. I need to consider the long-range effects of stress, and I will. But I also want some immediate gratification, too, like in the form of desserts.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess my stress level was high today, as I ate four big chunks of chocolate fudge with walnuts. I have another one staring at me but I will try and calm down and see if it will pass...

My stress is lifted at least 5 days because of the messenger. If you and I didn't have our daily laugh, I would be half crazy. So tomorrow, I will be on and give you the :) to let you know, I am there with you all the way BB, forever and ever.

Anonymous said...

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Me too!!!! Me too!!!!

Can't wait to see you this week. That should be a stress reducing evening. Cheryl...come on down!

Anonymous said...

calm down! you have more than most with the love of your friends and family.

Anonymous said...

Donna, on the girls night out make sure Peggy only eats salad with olive oil, raw fruits and veges, and only drinks water. Yes, it's your birthday so you can have cake but none for Peggy!...aren't heart attacks great Peg?!

Anonymous said...

Cristal,

Aren't you joining us? You don't have to give me a present or anything. Just your presence would be great! Then you can help me keep an eye on Peggy.

Peggy said...

I believe girls night out should be exempt from all diet restrictions. Right, Cristal and Donna?