Thursday, July 31, 2008

Robbed Again

My business was broken into last night. This is the second time in five weeks. The dock high door in the back is caved in, and missing are a Dodge truck (probably met its demise at a chop shop), a plasma cutter, copper, and one of our bigger grinders. The thieves also punctured the gas tank of another vehicle and stole the gas. I was about to get in the shower when the call came. I dressed again and Robin and I drove to work.

If you have ever been the victim of a robbery you know how it feels to be violated. For decent people, it is hard for us to imagine taking the liberty to enter someone else's property and help ourselves. Most of us work, sacrifice and save to have the things we own. It never entered our minds to take from another person. Yet thieves walk among us and feel entitled to those things we worked so hard to possess.

I waited while the police filed the report and Robin did his best to secure the door. It was so damaged that he could only barricade it and hope it lasted through the night. I was so shocked and numb that I couldn't remember the alarm code or password. To be facing this nightmare again, only five weeks later, was too much.

I'm angry. I didn't need this added expense. I know how to tighten the belt when lean times come. I've had to do it off and on through the years. You all know where I buy my shoes. I used to shop higher-end stores for my clothing. I don't any more. I used to wear Lancome makeup and now I'm happy to get what the grocery store carries. I can make do. I've never been tempted to steal from others. Regardless of what I have or don't have, most importantly I have to live with myself.

Yes, I'm angry but I also pity the person who took the liberty to enter my business and rip me off. Because he will never know the satisfaction that comes from working toward a goal and attaining it. He will never know the sense of accomplishment in a job well done. He will never know discipline, integrity, character, or humility. He will bleed others dry for his own gain. He will appreciate nothing. He'll never feel the peace that comes from an honest day's work. And he'll always have to watch his back.

But most importantly, he has to live with himself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I CANNOT believe this happened AGAIN!! I would be so angry! Do you have any kind of insurance to help out for this kind of thing? What about cameras to catch these thieves in action? How maddening(SP?) and frustrating. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this right now.

Anonymous said...

I am so disgusted by this, and to think it's happened twice. I hope they catch these a-- h---s. Don't give them jail time, just take off a few fingers so they can't do it again. I'm sorry for the hate I am feeling right now. What's going on with people????

Their day will come BB

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry this happened. I agree that they are the ones to be pitied. Nothing like being able to sleep at night.

angela | the painted house said...

Nothing makes me angrier than thieves. I'm so sorry that you had to experience this again.