Wednesday, July 02, 2008

I Have a Good Heart

Yippee! I just got a clean bill of health from my cardiologist. He doesn't need to see me again for 3 months. I can slowly resume normal activities (that's all Robin heard) and he suggested that I walk 5 days a week and build up to an exercise regimen. He also suggested that I eliminate stress and fill my body with only good things. He was proud of my progress and complimented me on what a loving family I have that held a vigil at the hospital. Yes, I told him, they are wonderful!

The doctor explained my periods of brief symptoms and how they led to a heart attack. For the three weeks prior, the pain I felt was my artery trying to collapse on me. When it finally did, the pain became constant and the heart attack happened. He said I was very lucky that the artery could be opened and functioning again. There is some permanent damage, but it shouldn't affect my quality of life. As he sent me off, he reminded me that I'm still a young woman with a lot to live for and many more years to do it in.

We spent a small fortune on groceries last week. I bought almost every kind of vegetable and many kinds of fruit. I also got 100% whole wheat bread (I love whole wheat, but usually don't do the 100%) and Boca burgers for those times when I need a hamburger splurge. I've made my oatmeal and devoured three kinds of berries, and peaches and bananas. My body's in shock! But it will adjust.

I'm encouraged by the visit today, although I'm sure I will feel another heart attack coming on when all the medical bills arrive. For someone who is never sick, all of a sudden I owe a small fortune on healthcare. But at least I have a good heart.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love getting good news. Love you mom!

Anonymous said...

Fannnnnnstastic!!!!!!

You definitely have a good heart! I've known that for a long time. Love you Ron, Randee, and Angela's Mom!

Anonymous said...

Okay I don't want to waste one of your comments saying "oh, that was me....I screwed up". I'm anonymous. So I'll just reiterate how I love my sister. She has always taken such good care of me, her little sister by only 3 years. Peggy has never raised her voice at me that I can remember. I placed a scare on her face, spoke as if I were Peggy to her boyfriend on the phone, wet the bed while sleeping with her and then the real trouble began as I grew to be an adult. Not one harsh word from her lips telling me how stupid I was or I should have done this or that. I might have needed that scolding, but I didn't get it from my sweet sista! I love you so much Peggy!

Peggy said...

Sissy, maybe your Sissy knew she had no room to talk. Think about it. I love you, too!!!!

P.S. That was a scar you put on my face, not a scare. But maybe that's why I scare grandchildren.

angela | the painted house said...

I am so happy to hear the doctor's report. Maybe you could put a leash on Parker and take him on the walks with you.

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news BB, but then we always knew you had a fantastic heart.

Anonymous said...

Ok miss spell check! lol

Anonymous said...

Cheers! and Hurrays! I'm jumping up-and-down (quietly) while I'm at the Library just down the mountain from my home in Tennessee...maybe a bunch of us could make a trip to my place here in TN sometime. It would be good for all of our hearts!! (And, is not that far from fun places like Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge, the Grand Ole' Opry, etc. (and great walking trails)

It's a thrill being a part of your miracle, my new and beautiful friend (with or without make-up).

Can't wait to hug you up when I get back to TX...until then--give yourself a big hug from me.

Luv - Sharon

Peggy said...

As the song goes, "You picked a fine time to leave me, Sharon!"

I know you must be enjoying your mountain home and I look forward to seeing you soon. Why didn't you tell me at lunch that I looked like I'd have a heart attack the next morning?

Anonymous said...

Great news!! I'm so glad you have a healthy heart again!!....Now just keep it that way, ok?!