Sunday, July 06, 2008

Camryn and Our Birthday Tradition

Camryn will be turning 15 this week so we set out to enjoy our birthday lunch and shopping. This is always a fun time for us. I get to re-visit my teenage years through her and she gets to experience a good dose of humility by being seen out in public with her grandma. She handled it very well!

She chose to have lunch at Fridays and our waitress treated us to a big dish of vanilla ice cream, topped with chocolate syrup and whipping cream, in honor of Camryn's birthday. We didn't know if we had room for the ice cream after a big lunch, but we managed to clean the bowl.

Let this picture be a reminder to all you mature ladies out there to never share a picture with a 15-year-old. It doesn't flatter you. Not at all. Actually, the age thing came into play when we entered the restaurant. The greeter asked if we wanted to sit in the bar.

"We're too young," I told him.

"She may be too young, but you aren't," he rudely replied. Then, I guess it hit him how awful that had sounded and he offered to card me. Too late, buddy, you already blew it.


After lunch, the fun part began. Shopping! Camryn had fun trying on clothes and picking out earrings. She ended up with 10 pairs of earrings, sandals, a pair of denim shorts, and a cute top. Notice the worn spot on the shorts. I could put my finger through the threads. I asked if they were defective.

Camryn just smiled. "It's the style, Memaw."

Man, I could make a fortune if I still had all the thread-bare shorts and jeans I discarded when a hole appeared.

I enjoyed my day with my beautiful girl. And if we think she's beautiful today, just wait until her actual birthday when her braces come off. I hope to document that moment with a picture.

Thank you, Camryn for a perfect day. I love you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you take me shopping for my birthday? Camryn walked away with a lot!

Bet the rude guy was glad he wasn't your waiter considering he probably would've lost out on a tip.

angela | the painted house said...

Man, she is beautiful! I'm glad you all had fun even if the dude at Friday's was so rude.

Peggy said...

Yes, Cristl, we can go shopping. Camryn was on a budget, but she managed to find some excellent sales. She chose one store because their earrings were 10 for $10. Don't know how well those will hold up.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a good deal!

Anonymous said...

What do these young guys know. They have no taste when it comes to a mature, well defined woman! (if they only knew what we think of them!)

Anonymous said...

is she just the most beautiful girl? I love her to pieces!

Anonymous said...

What a beauty! You too Sissy! Sounds like fun!!!!