Sunday, July 06, 2008

Dinner's Ready at my House

In pre-heart attack days these chicken breast strips would have been breaded and fried, and served with mashed potatoes and gravy. Yummy on the taste buds but not so good for the ticker. So today I marinated the chicken in a little olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and garlic. Then I broiled them instead of frying. Oh, this Southern Girl loves her fried food! But thankfully, chicken is not one of my favorite foods so broiling it was no big deal. Actually, the marinade helped to disguise the fowl taste.

I put the chicken over a bed of Parmesan Couscous, and added a medley of Asian vegetables and home-grown tomatoes with a hint of onion, lemon juice and olive oil. It may not be totally heart healthy, folks, but I'm learning. I've also gone through a whole box of oats and more is on my grocery list. Our usual Sunday morning fare is a Sara Lee pecan coffee cake and it has been replaced by oatmeal. No wonder I had a heart attack.

5 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Looks good, Mamacita! Do you have a tomato plant?

Peggy said...

No plant, but I wish I did. Cindy brought a bag of them over to me from her parent's garden. I've so enjoyed them.

Anonymous said...

I hope they're home grown or you'll be in the hospital for salmonella now.

That looks like yummy!

Anonymous said...

LOL LOL Cristal! Isn't that the truth....Looks good to me, but then that's all I eat is chicken. Never tried couscous. I now have TWO tomatoes on my plant, how exciting is that (I need a life). Glad you are giving this new menu a try. Your doing better than I would as I could not pass a Sarah Lee Coffee Cake up.

Anonymous said...

You are doing so good! You are going to feel so much better. I love you!