Friday, July 25, 2008

Baylee and the Ant

This is the heartbreaking story of a little girl who loves animals and a Mom who kills them. Anyone who knows Baylee knows she wouldn't hurt a fly. She might punch her brother in the nose and tease her little sister, but she wouldn't harm one of God's helpless creatures. She adores everyone's animals and cries when she has to leave them. They love her back. I know of one dog that stares after their van until it disappears from sight, while Baylee is grieving in said van because of the Baylee/dog separation. When she visits my sister's home she is enamored by the horses, dogs and kitten. You can't pull her away from them without a fight. This is why this story is so heart-wrenching.

A smiling, happy Baylee walks in to her Mom and announces, "I have a new pet!"

Allison looks down at an ant crawling up Baylee's arm. Quickly, she reaches for the ant and ends its little life between two of her fingers while Baylee looks on in horror.

The tears start raining down her face. "You killed my pet!"

"It was an ant. Ants can sting you," Allison told her.

"But he loved me!" Baylee wailed.

Now, I agree with Allison. Loving an ant is carrying the animal love affair to an all new high. What if Baylee has the same attraction to a wasp, a rattlesnake, a skunk, and others in the animal kingdom that aren't pet-friendly? Not all critters want to be cuddled, nor do we want that kind of relationship with them. So I do understand Allison's alarm. But she still killed Baylee's pet.

Baylee is almost four and I'm afraid she will always remember when her mom callously killed one of her pets. The memory of a tiny life being snuffed out in an instant will haunt her forever. She may develop a fear of her mom's hands, hands that at one time had been tender and soothing, hands that had done so much for her. This one action could erase all the good they had done.

I'm afraid Baylee will need therapy as she carries this violent act with her. I'm sure the next time she finds an ant in the yard she won't be so eager to show her mom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL LOL LOL!!!!! This has got to be the best story yet from (insert her last name here) land.....

My dad accidentally stepped on my turtle and popped his eyes out. I was a mess for weeks. When I brought the geco home though, my dad built it a cage(or should I say a mini condo) in an act of guilt from the turtle.

Maybe Baylee, you can drag this ant situation out for something bigger!?

Anonymous said...

Baylee I just thought of something. If you bring home a snake, and Mom says...nooooo..... give it to Memaw to take care of. She takes in a lot of orphans!!!

Peggy said...

Not funny, Cheryl!

Anonymous said...

Where should I send donations for her future therapy sessions?

Cheryl, your dad stepped on your turtle and his eyes popped out?! I'm horrified!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Baylee. Please tell her that the kit-tin still loves her and misses her. So does Kohley:)

angela | the painted house said...

Poor Baylee! Maybe Randee could get her an ant farm as a consolation gift.

I've never in my life heard of turtle eyeballs popping out, Cheryl!

Anonymous said...

There you go, an ant farm! I remember when Clay's ants got loose in the house. Yeah, there's a fun memory.