Monday, December 03, 2007

The Dreaded Dress



Many of you may be wondering - my daughters, especially - why I still have this ugly caftan-like dress hanging in my closet. It's very simple. I'm sentimentally attached to it and it's been the butt of many jokes. To discard it now, after all we've been through together, would be cruel.

You are probably wondering why I bought the dress in the first place. That explanation is also simple. It's a dark color so I can slip it on with nothing underneath and no one can see through it. This was important as my son grew older and had friends spend the night and I knew boys that age had no more desire to see my body than I had to show it off. Yet it was easy to throw on in the morning and cook breakfast for those guys and keep my modesty intact at the same time. Now that it's just Robin and me in the house, the dress has long ago served its purpose. Still it hangs in my closet for sentimental reasons.

I began a Christmas tradition in my family when my children were younger. They were allowed to open one gift on Christmas Eve and it was always sleepwear - pajamas, gowns, robes, or jogging suits for the guys. I wanted them to look cute Christmas morning for pictures so I dressed them in their new sleepwear.

On Christmas Eve 1992 we were opening our gowns and pajamas. I had wrapped the infamous blue dress and presented it to Allison. We have her response on video: "Don't want it!" she shrieked and pushed it aside. We finally asked her to pull it out of the box, which she did, and found the keys to her brand new car taped to the bottom of the box. The shrieking really began then!

So, you see, the dress has some mileage and seeing it both makes me laugh at the jokes that have been made and the thrill of seeing Allison react to her new car once she got beyond the ugly dress. I can't part with memories. But it will be shoved into the back of my closet again, maybe to surface in a new Christmas box someday. This time, I hope my name is on the box and car keys are hidden beneath the far-from-stylish threads of days gone by.

5 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

I forgot you used to Britney it underneath your gowns around the house. Was that for easy access for Dad? I know, I have no shame in my inquiries.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOODNESS!! THANKS FOR THE VISUAL ANGELA!!! I'm about to go to bed but now I'm afraid to go to sleep for the dreams I might be having.

I've forgotten anything that I was going to comment on.

Anonymous said...

memories. I remember that sweet Acura. You should tell about how we got it for free - very cool story.

Anonymous said...

Angela....is that YOU??? I too Cristal forgot what I was going to comment on..! Oh yeah, nice caftan BB, I have a lot of those in my closet too. Still the most comfortable thing out there. We can pull them out if we ever get to the attrium...

Peggy said...

No visuals, please.