Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Stop and Smell the Roses

My title reflects the words Cheryl said to me today when I lamented about all that has gone wrong in less than a week. Then when I told her flowers had just been delivered to my home and how beautiful the peach-colored roses are, she told me it was God's way of telling me to stop, slow down, take time to smell the roses, count my blessings, fix my eyes on the positives.

I needed that reminder. My day started with a call from my son, Ron, informing me that our business had been robbed of approximately $3,000 in materials needed to do our jobs. Replacing those materials can be added to an already growing list of business needs that must be met. I felt overwhelmed and very disappointed in the human race. Then, I felt hot. The A/C unit had completely died an untimely death.

Robin contacted the service company he uses and we were told there was no point in trying to fix the unit. We were quoted a price for a new unit and the needed upgrades for the attic portion of the A/C. Would you believe it was only a few hundred dollars less than the oil and gas lease check I was supposed to pick up today? I had that money earmarked for other needs. I never dreamed that large sum of money would be gone the same day it was received. Especially, since our A/C unit had been replaced about eight years ago.

We sweltered in the heat all day while the new A/C was being installed. Finally, we left to sign the contract for the oil and gas lease. I was told I didn't have all the documents I needed since the house is in my deceased husband's name. I brought a death certificate and other forms I felt would be needed, but neglected to move heavy things in the closet to retrieve our wills. Mind you, the heart attack was five days ago and I wasn't up to having another one so soon.

Robin has now cleared the way for me to reach the file cabinet so I can get the wills and show up again on Thursday for the signing. But the question remains. Why did the unit go out and consume money we needed for other things? Why do things cloud my way when I think I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel?

Cheryl and I discussed the other side of this issue, the one that pointed to God and His perfect timing. Is it that odd that a major expense happened on the very day we were going to come into enough money to cover it? Shouldn't I be thankful that it happened this way? Shouldn't I trust God to solve my other problems, the ones this check was meant for? In spite of the heart attack, the theft, all the broken pieces in my life, blessings still abound.

This wonderful dinner was made for us by two of our neighbors, Yvonne and Jean. I was very touched when Yvonne called to tell me they would be feeding us tonight. It kept me out of the kitchen and off my feet and we enjoyed every little bite. The flowers, a gift from the bank where I have my business accounts, was another blessing. Like Cheryl said, God wanted me to stop today, amid all the problems and concerns, and smell the roses.

Another blessing, one very unexpected, was hearing from a woman I'd met once at Deborah's pool party. She was told of my plight and immediately offered meals, help, groceries, doctor visits, even a night in her house in a cool room had our A/C not been fixed. Paula was adamant about helping in any way she could. We've met once. Once. God spoke to me today through her and her unselfish kindness. What a spirit-filled woman who responds to God when he leads her to someone she hardly knows. Her correspondences with me through the day have uplifted me. I've been blessed. I have a new friend that I'm very proud of. Thank you, Paula.

So, where does all of this leave me? I'm not sure, but I will trust God with the answers and praise Him for the ways He has called out to me today in the form of dinner, flowers, friends, a sister, my children, and yes, even showing me where to put the big check.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl is a very smart woman. I too would have been down about it and wondering why it had to happen that way...when I had that money planned for other things. So kuddos to Cheryl for seeing the true light....Jesus!

You really have had a rough time! Do you know who took the materials? Any way of getting them back or was it a break in?

If my AC broke, even in January, I'd be in a hotel down the street. I hate being hot. And unfortunately I'm hot all the time. Can you imagine what menopause is going to be like for me?? oh, help me!

Anonymous said...

Help YOU? Help Mike!

Mom, I know things look so grim you just have to remember that whatevery you are going though God will make it up to you 2 fold. He is preparing you for abundant blessing

I love you

Anonymous said...

God is blessing you and will continue blessing you. You are His child. I'm so glad you are my sister.

You are so incredibly blessed with friends. I've never known anyone who attracts so many. Love you hot mama....on yeah you got the AC fixed.

Anonymous said...

Poor Mike. He already has to bundle up INSIDE the house since I like it cold. My friends say that I can hang meat in my house! ha! So I can only imagine what menopause will be like. ugh!! And you're right, poor Mike. He'll have to wear long-johns even in the summer!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Mike can talk to Robin. You can wear warmer cloths when it's cold, right BB?

I am always in awe of how together you are. You have always inspired me and led me down the right path.

Sometimes things are just so overwhelming, you have to let it out, just remember not to drag it out. I think that's when we forget Gods love.

Now everyone needs to know, at the end of our conversation of some truly troubling problems for Peggy, I had mentioned to her I would like to slap someone who's initials begin with S (mostly because he was interrupting me at work while I was trying to type to Peggy!) I think that is a perfect example of "do as I say, not as I do".

Hang in there BB

love you

Anonymous said...

Would the S stand for Sid??

angela | the painted house said...

Oh, Mom, I hate to read all of this. Who knew that the AC costs so much money? You are assuming a good attitude. God will take care of you. I know it.

Love you.

Natalie said...

I'm so sorry! I hope things are going better by today. Pretty flowers AND dinner!

Anonymous said...

God will keep blessing you daily. My grandmother told me that and I have never forgotten it. My friend Paula is one of a kind. So glad she was there for you. Love ya Peggy and everything will get better.