Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!


I spent a wonderful Father's Day with my Dad, Sugar. When I'd asked what I could bring for him he wanted oatmeal cookies. I baked those last night and carried them to him and he promptly began eating. His other Daddy's Girl, Donna, also baked cookies for the occasion, chocolate chip.

As I greeted him with a hug I thanked God for the blessing of having this incredible man in my life. To have parents in their early 80s and a marriage of 63 years so far, puts me in a very rare class of people. I haven't forgotten how special that is.

I could see that Dad is tired but there is no use in telling him to slow down. He's always believed that idle time is a sin so he busies himself with many projects at home and for others and is one of the ultimate Do-Gooders. I can't count the number of chores he has accomplished for me, from wallpapering rooms to adding the electrical wiring to my sheet metal shop. He's a man of many talents and skills, and he's been a blessing to numerous people around him.

I've reminded him that retirement is a reward for a job well done. He just smiled and continued working. But I know the reality of it is that he's so active and healthy now because he's always led a productive life. Who am I to give him advice?

I love you, Sugar, and I'm proud to be one of your girls.

picture added by dee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pictures. Pepaw would be ashamed at how idle my hands can be at times.

good seeing everyone today.

angela | the painted house said...

What a sweet PaPaw! AHHH, it is times like these when I am so mad that we live so far away.

Mom and Donna--you both look beautiful! Donna, love your hair.

Randee, email me that family photo of you all. I can't enlarge it. :(

Anonymous said...

Thank you Angela. We wish you didn't live so far away also. Hope Clayton is feeling better today. Love you.

It was a good day at the farm. Thanks for the pictures!