Saturday, June 28, 2008

I Still Scare Grandchildren



I have seen the blank, bewildered look in the face of my grandchildren before. I open the door to greet them and I am met with the look, the one that makes me wonder if I sprouted a third eye or if my face suddenly broke out in unsightly warts. The look suggests that if I reach out to hug them they will run in the opposite direction, screaming at the top of their lungs as if pursued by the Loch Ness monster.

Usually the kids can't wait to get to my house. They know they will have fun with Memaw and Papa while raiding the pantry. They enter the house with wide smiles and eager steps. They freely offer their sweet hugs and appear totally comfortable in my presence. So, you might ask, what produces the awkward look when I answer my door to welcome them into my home?

Memaw without makeup.

I get teased a lot about my makeup. Robin says I won't take out the trash at midnight unless I have makeup on. Chezzy always told me that a herd of elephants would stampede down Main Street before I'd be caught without makeup. Obviously, I make a point to be presentable. But there are times when it's not possible. Like waking up in the throes of a heart attack. For some strange reason, I didn't tell Robin to start the car only after I'd taken the time to apply foundation, thicken the eyelashes and add a touch of blush to my gray cheeks. I even commented to the nurse who was taking me to surgery to have the stents placed in my heart that I'd never gone to surgery without my makeup. That's the truth. I guess I was more worried about my appearance than the condition of my heart.

As far as Jude is concerned, a heart attack means I'll be wearing a nightshirt and no makeup. There's no health risk. It just means he'd rather not see his Memaw at the moment. When Allison took the lovely picture of me in the ER and showed it to Jude, the look appeared before he turned away. He wanted no part of it. He didn't see the oxygen tube in my nose, or the heart monitor recording my activity, or even the hospital bed I was lying in. He only saw Memaw without makeup. When I came home from the hospital I was greeted by Allison and her family and Jude still shyly gazed at me and only accepted my hug reluctantly. Memaw looked scary.

And the following conversation took place today as they left church to come visit with me for awhile.

Jude: "Mama, call Memaw and tell her to put makeup on."

Allison: "Why? Memaw's been sick."

Jude: "Because Memaw is beautiful with makeup on. She looks pretty ugly without it."

Well, Allison didn't call and I got the look from Jude when I opened the door. It's hard to explain the look. I just know that my precious grandson whom I love so much is not real comfortable with me. Allison whispered the conversation they had had in the car and I understood. And later when I pulled out the camera to get pictures of them all dressed up, I declined to get in the picture because I look "ugly".

Jude's eyes grew wide and he looked at his mom and said, "That's the word I used!"

Then he covered his mouth in embarrassment and turned a crimson red.

So, everyone, I have to wear makeup and keep my hair out of a hair clip, all for the sake of my grandchildren. I don't want to be the wicked grandmother who scares away the little ones. I want them to freely come to my home and feel comfortable in my presence. If I didn't know the difference a little face paint made before, I surely do now.

Here are the little darlings in their church finery. They looked so cute. Memaw isn't in the picture for obvious reasons.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

He has got to get some manners! he loves you so much. I think the reason he was so hesitant is because I told him to be easy since you were still unable to pick them up and hug them.

I think you are too hard on yourself. Free yourself from that slave. Go to the grocery store without the paint on - I dare you. You won't believe how many people you will see that that day that you haven't seen in years.

We all love you - make up or no make up.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! I've seen her go DAYS without makeup, well maybe a little residual from Saturday's makeup on Monday....in Bandera. She still looks great.

The kids look so cute! I love Baylee's dress and hair, so grown up looking. And Sophia, so carefree. Man, Jude is getting tall!

Anonymous said...

Allison is right about that....the one day you don't do your hair or make-up you will run into all kinds of people you haven't seen.

Baylee looks so pretty in that dress!

That's so funny that they give you "the look". I too think part of it was that they're afraid to hurt you by hugging you or something.

I got a good laugh at your "Welcome Home" post since you were all made up and had just arrived home from the hospital. You really do wear your make-up all the time! haha

Last Christmas while at my parent's with Clay and the kids I woke up one morning and asked Ashton if I could go eat with them with my hair as it was....sticking up, uncombed, you get the picture. He didn't want to answer me out of politeness but after the 4th time of me asking he finally told me I should fix it. Then as I was walking away laughing he told me that I needed to put some make-up on too! I got such a good laugh over that!! And while in Ga he didn't like the days I went without make-up or fixing my hair. He knows how he likes his women!

angela | the painted house said...

Remember when i begged you to stop wearing makeup? What was I thinking?

You are beautiful any way you come!

Anonymous said...

My sissy is beautiful!

The kids just are accustomed to seeing you fixed up. You need to relax a little and let them work up to it.

It scares James when he knows I have gone to the store without makeup on. Oh well. I am a gambler. I always hope I'll not see anyone. I put on my sunglasses and wear them in the store.

Anonymous said...

Then people think you have a black eye.