Sunday, February 03, 2008

Suzy Homemaker

That's what you can call me after all my kitchen exploits this week. My mother gave me a slow cooker for Christmas and I tried it out twice this week. Monday was stew and it turned out very well, if a little too watery. There must be an art to slow cooking and learning that the contents need less water than when cooking on the stove.

Later in the week it was corned beef and cabbage. It was awful. I think I added the cabbage too early and mixing its flavor with that of the corned beef produced the worst tasting cabbage I've ever swallowed. And I love cabbage. So, I dumped all the cabbage, wrapped the corned beef, and we're enjoying sandwiches out of it. Really tasty this way.

Thursday night I made cookies for an employee's birthday. If you've never tried the recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies on the lid of the Quaker Oats box, I suggest you hit the kitchen right now. They are to die for. Use Golden Raisins for a fantastic flavor and add chopped pecans. It's a meal in itself!

That same night I made a simple dump cake using apples. Robin was impressed and I failed to tell him how easy it was.

This morning I made the blueberry-lemon coffee cake that Allison gave me the recipe for. It was such a hit when her in-laws visited that she made it again the next day. I admire her for being the perfect hostess since the coffee cake is a bit involved. Grated lemon rind and working with almond paste, which I've never baked with before. The end result was heavenly. It's just as delicious as she said it was. But it was work. Work that I suggest you all give in to since it's so good!

All this and other non-exciting meals in one week! I feel very industrious and energetic. Cooking and baking are not fun activities for me. I've heard women say they love to cook and I just can't grasp the concept. Maybe I'm just burnt out. There was a time when I was prepared every week to have guests over after church. We met some wonderful people and somehow I managed to enjoy them even though I was worn out. I am not sorry my tenure is over. I remember as a child wondering why my mother always had company over for dinner when all the work put her in a bad mood. I understand now. We do it because we enjoy new and old friends and feel the work is worth it. I know I harped on my own kids about keeping my clean house clean before the visitors got in the door. Also, cooking for a bigger family or a crowd is often easier than cooking for two. My meal selections are limited now because I can't use some of my bigger recipes.

Even though I dislike cooking, my favorite (if a favorite is possible) household chore is doing the dishes. If I could find someone willing to cook for us I'd gladly clean up the mess.

Often when I'm baking a batch of cookies Robin will tell me that I love to bake or I wouldn't be in the kitchen doing it. That's like saying we love to change dirty diapers or we wouldn't be doing it.

"If you don't enjoy baking, why are you mixing up those cookies," he's asked often.

"Because I'm dying to sink my teeth into a chocolate chip cookie, maybe?"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see your post. Thought maybe you took a vacation! I definately agree on the oatmeal cookies. They are so good. When you make them, better get one right away, they will BE GONE before you know it!!!! :)

My next venture will be the coffee cake recipe. Sounds so good.

I was industrious, I made a Pakistani sweet dish. I call them pretzels but they are really called JILEBI. It's a mix but you have to get it to the right consistancy then put it in a piping tube. I then squirt them in the shape of pretzels into hot oil (I use a fry daddy) and let them get light brown. You then drop them for a few seconds in boiling sugar water (Sid even helped me with that). They are very good and lots of work. Remind me of funnel cakes only smaller.

Too bad about the cabbage. Don't forget Randee's recipe for the chocolate cake in the slow cooker!!! (send me some if you make it....) :)

If there are spelling mistakes in my comment, blame it on my wet nails. My fingers can't spell when their nails are wet... I tried the hot pink in the pen. Pretty.....

Anonymous said...

My favorite cookie is oatmeal and Quaker Oats is the BEST!!

As far as everything else goes, for you and Cheryl, it's over my head and sounds like way to much work! Is a slow cooker the same as a crockpot?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the yummy weekend. I loved that coffee cake, the next time you make it put the paste in the microwave and soften it then work with a pastry blender to get it mixed in real good.

I ate some of the oatmeal cookies, yummy!

Anonymous said...

I love oatmeal cookies!!!!!I want one!

Anonymous said...

again, over my head Dee.

angela | the painted house said...

Try those cookies with toffee chips, too. Of course, if you ladies would read Dinner's Ready, you would know this already. You, Donna, are excluded from this reprimand.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Angela.

Peggy, why didn't you post your dinners on "Dinner's Ready"? I'm sure Bonnie and Barbara wouldn't mind some competition.

Peggy said...

Sorry, Punkin. Sometimes I forget about that blog and then read it all in order to catch up. I will do better. Your dinner plates look like they came out of Southern Living the way the food is arranged.