Friday, February 15, 2008

Working From Home

Monday, Presidents' Day, will be my last day at the office. No, I'm not joining the happy retirees club, although the prospect of that is quite alluring. The fact is that the cute house that served as my offices was sold and I am in the process of moving my office to my house. Ron will find a cubby hole in the shop as his makeshift office.

I have mixed feelings about this change. On one hand, not having to go into work every day is nice. I like the idea of getting ready and walking the few feet to a back bedroom office. This new arrangement will test how disciplined I am, and I hope to pass the test. On the other hand, my home is my sanctuary, the place I escape to when the pressure gets too great. Bringing the work pressure into my home might defile my haven. I hope to be able to shut that door at 5:00 and leave the stress behind.

Another consideration is Robin and I being together 24/7 since he also has a home office. I'm sure we'll both stay busy and we will, afterall, be in two separate rooms. But it was nice coming home to a fresh pot of coffee and the two of us sharing our day. We'll still do the coffee, but I might be the one making it now.

By far, the worst part is leaving my son. Ron and I work well together. We've had our moments and I'm sure I've fired him a hundred times. But I haven't in awhile and it would be pointless anyway. He merely smiles and tells me I can't handle it without him. He's right.

Ron reminded me today that Monday will be our last day together, our last lunch together, and how he feels saddened by it. He considered the number of years, at least twenty, that we have worked side-by-side and visited over lunch. I will miss that, too. But I will make a point to show up at the shop with a bag of food as I gather the mail or pass out paychecks.

My den is packed right now with boxes. Monday we will move my remaining items, the desk and computer. I hope to have fun organizing and hanging pictures. I'm talking myself into a positive attitude and conviction that a home office just might work well.

Oh, the best part? The office phone stays with Ron!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to work from home. The only bad part for me would be eating too much. I don't keep much food around the office, so I'm not so tempted. By the way, I've lost 10 lbs. now. I'm still working on it.

I know you will miss Ron, but it will just make your visits so very special.

James and I live together and work together but away from home. We first drove together, but we put an end to that even though it was more cost efficient. We have at least time to ourselves during the drive, but we rode together one day this week, and it turned out to be productive. I gave him some much needed information for a predicament he was working through and got it solved. Oh well.....maybe it was meant that we rode together that ONE day:)

Anonymous said...

That was very sweet what you said about Ron missing his free lunches. Good luck, Mom... and Robin. Now Robin doesn't have to tell you what Weezle does every day, you'll be there to witness it. I bet Parker will become your office cat.