Saturday, February 23, 2008

Don't Mess With Clayton



I am here to carefully advise anyone and anything - don't mess with Clayton. For that matter, don't mess with Angela, either. They have a Powerful Force on their side, One you don't want to mess it. God and His entourage of angels have surrounded their home and they are protected. Anything that threatens them will be eradicated. That includes lymphoma.

In the short time since the diagnosis on Clayton confirmed the presence of lymphoma, an impenetrable barrier of supporters have encircled them. Heaven and earth have come together to fight and protect. The outpouring of love and concern and prayers have been awesome. But then, Clayton himself is awesome.

I clearly remember one December night in 1995. I had just gone to bed when I heard a knock on my bedroom door. Clayton asked if he could come in. He knelt by my bed and asked for the engagement ring that Angela's Daddy had given me in 1974. Angela had wanted my ring set for her own marriage someday and the thought of them on the finger of our daughter thrilled me. Clayton explained that he wanted to have them sized and then ask Angela to marry him.


Allison had married Brian just two weeks before. We were all still recovering from the stress and excitement of planning a wedding. I looked at him and asked, "Another wedding? We just finished one!"

But Clayton and I both knew I was excited about the prospect of him marrying my baby. I'd known him long enough to believe completely that he could be trusted with my daughter's love. And I knew Angela thought the world revolved around Clayton and that she loved him deeply. I eagerly handed over the rings and felt the butterflies in my stomach as I imagined the happiness Angela would soon experience as Clayton proposed to her. None of us have ever regretted that day.

Through the years my respect and admiration for Clayton have grown. He disciplined himself to get through medical school and his residency to become the wonderful, caring doctor he is today. He proved to be a loving husband to Angela and a very involved father to their three children. Their family is a team, working together to make it all run smoothly. I've always been in awe of them, but no more than I am at this moment.

This past week, Clayton and Angela have grown so much in my eyes. Sometimes we have to be knocked down before we realize how strong we are. Then, once the shock starts wearing off, we get into a survival mode and the gloves come on. Clayton is prepared to fight the monster that has invaded his body and Angela is like a protective lioness, ready to pounce on anything that threatens her family. They have adopted a whole new lifestyle that includes healthful diets and breaking any old dietary habits that might have existed, not that there could be many. And they are armed with God's presence and promises, and all the friends and family who have rallied around them.

This fight isn't new for Angela. She lived through the agony and uncertainty before and she knows how important it is to pray and trust in God. She knows how to rally and she knows how to fight. That experience will work in their favor.

Of course, we all ask the question, "why do bad things happen to good people?". I don't know the answer. My usual explanation is that we live on planet earth, not in heaven, and bad things happen here. How comforting to know, however, that we are never alone with our bad things. God is only a prayer away and many friends and family remain close.

I have faith that Clayton and Angela's family will be back to normal in no time. I regret that they must deal with a setback, but it is only a temporary detour. They are surrounded by GOOD and nothing can harm them. Don't mess with Clayton, or Angela. The gloves are on and they are ready to fight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words don't express how I feel about my little brother. He has always meant the world to me. I am so happy that you and other people see what I see in him. There is really only good in him. Which makes this cancer even more devastating but I know he will fight it with everything he has and God will take care of him.

I remember January 1996 I went to the jewelers to pick up the rings that had been re-sized for Angela's finger. I was SO excited for him! I got married, to my first husband, that month and wanted Clayboy to propose to Angela at our reception but he didn't want to take anything away from me and he had more romantic plans in mind anyway. So that next week, while away on my honeymoon, I called him the night he proposed to find out all the details. He was crazy happy and I was ecstaticly happy for him. They have made such an awesome couple and are wonderful parents to those amazing kids.

When he told my Mama(grandma) how he proposed in the airplane her response was "what if she had said no? Would you have jumped out? Or pushed her out?" hahahaha That's my Mama!

Anonymous said...

You have decribed the most accurate synopsis of these two wonderful people. They compliment each other in so many ways. I feel this was such a "meant to be" life time committment for them both.

I too had the wonderful opportunity to be in on it a little from the beginning. I remember so well Angela showing me pictures of Clayton and how he had totally tugged on the strings of her heart. He is everything she needs in a relationship and I know that Clayton feels the same way having Angela in his life.

Other than my own wedding, I was never so honored to walk down the isle holding Clayton's arm to the first row with family. Such a wonderful man, I thought, for my Angela.

Your right, sometimes you have to be set back to raise up. You two are so up to the challange and with all our prayers, the answer will be a glorious one. God never dissapoints! He loves us more than we will ever know. When a difficult situation arises, it will show us in another way, another side to God's love.

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

They are in my daily prayers!!

Anonymous said...

Angela is a tiger. I remember not messing with her as a child. She may look whispy but when those arms start going WATCH OUT.

I love clayton so much. He is the perfect husband and son. I cannot wait for the day when we get the news that the cancer is gone and there is a big barbeque dinner planned in his honor. I'll make the trip for that! I call the guest rooms!

Anonymous said...

I agree with every word in your blog. I just wish there were more Claytons in this world.....glad he made his way into our family. Way to go Angela!!!!

angela | the painted house said...

Thank you for this sweet tribute to Clayton. It means so much to me that my family claims him as one of our own. He is the only one for me.