Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Happy Birthday, Patty!




Happy birthday to Patty, the oldest friend I have. By oldest, I mean that we have been friends the longest. Patty and I met as 11-year-olds in the sixth grade. A friendship was made for life. My favorite years together were our teen years when we swapped clothes, ogled the boys, and acted silly, and the ripe old age we are now because we haven't changed from those teen years when we are together. We no longer swap or ogle, but we do have fun being silly!

Patty reminded me that when we were teenagers that I'd tell her I wouldn't speak to her for fifteen days, until her mere fifteen years caught up to my older, more sophisticated sixteen years. Now, that fifteen day gap in our ages is calling for silence again but for the opposite reason: she is younger. Funny how that works.

Patty and I know how to have fun. We visit over coffee very often, share meals together, take trips, go shopping, and yes, even point and laugh. Hunting season finds us all excited about the weekend slumber parties where we relax and do our own thing. We spend so much time together that my grandson, Ashton, once asked his mother if "Patty is Memaw's wife". She's better than a wife. She is a true friend. This friendship will always stand the test of time.

Patty is one of the most generous people I know. My bathroom vanity is overflowing with perfume that she has given me, now toppling the 130+ mark. My closet is packed with clothes she has bought for me and my jewelry box can hardly close. She has treated me to two Carribean cruises and numerous weekend jaunts. I'm spoiled rotten! And I love every minute of it. Mostly, though, I love the friend who is compassionate, fun, understanding, caring, and loyal. She is a very beautiful woman.

Patty's husband, Dave, snapped the picture of the two of us standing by my decorated birthday car. I want to share that today since we can both claim this same recognition. The remaining pictures capture some of the fun times we've had and continue to have.

Patty, my sincere thanks for the friend you are, and my wish that this birthday bring all great things to you. You are most deserving. Happy birthday, friend, with all my love.

6 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Happy birthday, Patty! Thanks for treating my mom so well!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BANDERA BUD!!!! Our three birthdays within a month sounds like the best reason to continue to celebrate together each year. I too want to thank you for being such a good friend to my BB. Your one of a kind....HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN, AND SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Patty!

I feel fortunate to have known you all this time and appreciate the friend you always were to me and am glad we have started getting together again. So much fun!!!!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Patty!!

Anonymous said...

I'm a day late I know, but I couldn't help but leave something anyway! I have been blessed to become a daughter to Patty. She has been there for me for everything, even listening to me vent about her own son! I love her with all my heart! How lucky we all are to have such a wonderful person in our lives! Love you much!
Angie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mom!
I love you, so now lets go eat a birthday meal.