Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Priceless Valentine


In today's mail I received the most precious note. It was from my Dad, whom I call Sugar. I want to share his words for they mean the world to me.

Dear "Peg of my heart" Valentine,

It didn't take this season of love to draw my attention to the fact that I have a wonderful daughter that I love dearly. I know that I say that hurriedly sometimes, but I hope you take it to heart as my true feelings. I'm so thankful for you and I wish you the very best in life.

Love, Sug

This short note was so unexpected, yet appreciated more than I can say. I've always known I'm a part of a select group of people who not only have surviving parents, but parents who are still together. They will celebrate their 63rd anniversary next month. However, when I shared these words with Allison she reminded me again of how lucky I am to be a part of such a select group. How my kids would love to receive a note from their father this Valentine's Day. I know how blessed I am and my children and I know how very blessed they were to have the kind of father they had, if only too briefly.

Growing up I remember the times my Dad would surprise my Mother, Donna and me with candy on Valentine's Day. Our favorite was Millionaires, a delicious combination of caramel, pecans and chocolate. And two weeks before I gave birth to my first child, Ron, my Dad gave Donna and me two big red and white stuffed dogs. It made no difference that I was married and about to become a mom, he still gave me a Valentine gift.

This little note will go into a special drawer where I keep my written treasures. There is no gift from my Sugar that I would cherish as much as this note. And there's no candy any sweeter. Thank you, Sugar. I love you, too.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

test

Peggy said...

Test?

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago when the family got together at the farm for Thanksgiving, I left my purse. I realized on my way home and called Mother and Dad. Dad said he'd mail it to me the next day. I received the package and there was a note inside that I keep in my wallet that says "I love you!!!" I told James if he sees that note that it was from my daddy:)

I remember those sweet valentines when we were young. Wonderful memories!

Anonymous said...

He is a wonderful and loving man. You are so blessed to have your family still all in tact. My father never forgot me on any special day. Even on secretaries week he would send me a flower calling me his favorite secretary. I'm glad I did keep all his notes like you. In fact maybe I will pull a few out right now.

Anonymous said...

Yes girl you are so blessed. Your parents are very RARE!!!!

Anonymous said...

That was sweet, Deb. You know, they consider you theirs also.

Anonymous said...

This note touched me so much. He is such a sweet tender man and he is so generous with his love for the girls in his life. There is nothing better than a peepaw hug unless it is him waking you up in the morning by lifting the bed off the floor or folding up the sleeper sofa you are still sleeping in. I love that man with all my heart, tough exterior and all. I get this note in your will!

Anonymous said...

You have the best parents and that is so rare for them to still be together and have been married that long. I hope my parents live well into their 80's.

I am/was blessed to have my (grand)Mama and Granddaddy as long as I did. He passed away in 1994 after 52 1/2 years of marriage but my Mama is still going strong at 84!

My Dad would give me Valentine's presents from time to time but Cheryl, since my Dad owns his own business, I was his secretary EVERYDAY and I never got anything for that! I think I'm going to give "someone" a call.....

Anonymous said...

LOL Cristal, don't tell him I told you....

angela | the painted house said...

Mom, that is so sweet. I got the nicest card from him, too, thanking me for his b-day gift. I also thought about posting it.