Sunday, February 03, 2008

Strange Bedfellows

It was well after 2:30 am when we heard Parker on our bed playing with something. Neither of us commented on it, thinking the other might be asleep. I reached out a hand and patted his head, but he kept pouncing. Finally, he settled down and I fell back asleep.

This morning over coffee Robin asked if I'd felt Parker jumping around on the bed. He thought at first he was playing with a cat toy, but then felt like something brushed across his neck. He thought maybe it was one of those big roaches that find their way into our house. I shivered. Bugs don't scare me but I have no desire to share my sleeping quarters with them. I told him I'd felt Parker's movements but thought maybe he was just being weird.

Well, it's Sunday and laundry day at our house. I stripped our bed and pulled out fresh sheets. I gathered the dirty ones and began shaking them out to place in the washer. Guess what fell out onto the floor? Parker's roach. Like any cat, he's proud of his catch and hopes to show it off. Unfortunately for him, it was too late at night for us to give him the needed recognition.

We have been finding remnants of roaches around the house. I know Parker was a great hunter while living with Angela and I'm pleased that he is keeping unwanted critters at a minimum in our house. Due to the calm winter we are having, the roach numbers will only increase and Parker will be an excellent exterminator. I'm very proud of his efforts but I don't relish sleeping with his trophies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure his trophy was dead at the time he was playing with it?

You just reminded me of when I was living in that trailer and I awoke to a roach crawling it's way across my face. EEEEKKKKK!!! Spookie, my bedmate for the last 15 years, and I both were after it but it got away. Again, EEEKKKK!!! As my Dad said, "good thing your mouth wasn't open." EEEKKKK!!!!!!!!!! Great, I'll probably have nightmares tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

well, hopefully he will control the roach population in the house. I remember Kiggy bringing a family of 5 mice to my door one morning. They were all laid out neatly at the back porch. Then there was the time I heard something at the back door and kiggy - my sweet whisp of a cat - was killing a full grown rabbit at the back door. Have you ever heard a rabbit squeal?

Anonymous said...

EEEW! They have a way of reminding us of how valuable they are don't they! Good job Parker!

Anonymous said...

You should have named sweet little kiggy Killer.

angela | the painted house said...

That's my boy!