Sunday, February 24, 2008

Perogies - A Full Day's Work



My son, Ron, will have a birthday this week on the 28th and I asked what dessert he wanted me to make. He said he'd rather have perogies. Well, wouldn't we all? Cookies, with my double oven, can be accomplished - start to finish - in an hour. Perogies, however, take four hours. He did this to me last year, stating I hadn't made them since his 30th birthday. So, I forced my lazy butt into the kitchen and began the arduous task of making perogies. I must love that boy!

Actually, perogies are E-A-S-Y to make. They just take a long time. There's the rolling of the dough, making the filling, rolling each perogy out, one at a time, and filling them, and finally crimping the edges. I doubled the recipe and it made 53 (one went in the trash). I couldn't see doing a single recipe, going to allllll that rouble, for a mere 18 - 24 perogies.

Ron was delighted to come over and get the finished product. As you can see from the pictures, he brought his beautiful daughter, Camryn, with him.

Now, the recipe. If I can do it, anyone can.

Hot Water Perogy Dough

1 medium egg, 1/4 C. vegetable oil, 1 T. cold water, 1 t. salt, 2/3 C. boiling water, 2 1/2 C. flour

Mix together egg, oil, cold water, and salt using a wire whisk. Add boiling water and mix well. Stir in flour until too thick to handle, then knead into a smooth dough. Cover and let rest 15-20 minutes. Divide in half and roll. Using a round cookie cutter or a glass, cut into circles and fill. Let them dry on a clean cloth until all perogies are made. Boil in water until they float to the top, toss with butter and onion. Serve with sour cream. Perogies can be fried after boiled if desired.

Filling: Boil 2-3 medium potatoes. Mash with salt, pepper, and onions sauted in butter or margarine (1 stick). Leave enough butter and onions to toss cooked perogies. Makes 18-24 perogies.

Enjoy! It's worth the work (once a year).






7 comments:

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

We love perogies here too but I buy mine at the store. Mark grew up eating Kadovanoodle (sp?) which is a German perogies. We put fry ours up then make an onion gravy to go over it.
Saute an onion in the left over oil until browning then add 3 cans of milnot or evaporated milk. S/P to taste. Let it bubble up until it's hot through. Serve over the perogies. We like it thin like a soup but my mother-in-law will add flour to thicken it so it's more like a true gravy.
It's NOT the healthist thing but it is SO good!

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

I should have looked back and done a better job of checking my spelling and grammer. Goodness!

Anonymous said...

You're right, you must love him a lot.

I've never even heard of perogies.

Anonymous said...

Did you save some for me???? Camryn looks so pretty, she and Candice look so much alike, I had to enlarge the picture to get a better look.

You failed to mention that your beautiful daughter and her even more beautiful family came over for brunch and computer clinic???? What's up with that!?

Peggy said...

Becca, the gravy sounds delicious. I'll have to try it soon, but over the store-bought perogies.

Dee, I was so exhausted last night when I did this post that I failed to mention my lovely day with you and your family. I enjoyed the kids so much while Brian worked on 4 computers and has me set up perfectly now. Thank you all!

Anonymous said...

Does Brian travel?

Randee, I know, Camryn and Candence look JUST alike. Both equally beautiful inside and out (side)

Good Mommie!!!!!!

angela | the painted house said...

I'm looking at those, but not too hard. Sauted in butter, eat with sour cream. TORTURE!!!!

That is so nice of you, Mom. I think I would go to all that trouble, too, for one of my boys.