Friday, March 14, 2008

My Old Creep

Ah, yes, Angela, I have my own creep. He approached me today at the grocery store as I was piling groceries into my trunk. I saw him talking to the manager as I left the store and assumed he was an employee. He dressed like one. And I'm proud to say my grocery store employs those who seem to be a brick short of a load, but they are happy and more than willing to work. I admire them and the store for that.

"I need to have a serious talk with my roommate when I get home."

Huh? Are you talking to me. I looked up to see this older man standing by my car. Being as kind and tender-hearted as my Angela, I just couldn't ignore him. "Is there a problem?" I asked.

"Yes, he borrows my CDs and doesn't put them back where they belong."

"That can be a problem."

"I even told him he doesn't have to rewind them. I can do it. But at least put them back where you found them."

"I understand completely."

"Both of us have made requests. He asked me to sweep the bathroom every day since I have a cat and the litter gets on the floor. I told him that was only right, but I can't on Wednesdays because I work all day."

"It's not easy living with anyone. Whether it's a roommate, marriage, whatever, concessions have to be made."

"Well, I can't pay the rent without him."

"I understand."

"But I may not have an electric bill this month for the first time. He will pay it."

"I'm sure that will help."

"We just need to talk about all this."

By now, I've closed the trunk and I'm ready to get in my car, lock the doors, and drive off. "I'm sure the talk will do you good. I wish you luck."

This isn't the first time I've been approached in the parking lot of this same grocery store. Twice a gentleman came to me and proceeded to lift my bags from the cart and place them in my trunk for me. Then, after being so helpful, he will ask for money.

"No, sorry. Look at that trunk full of groceries. I spent it all."

Once I saw him at the stop light next to me and his car wasn't a junker.

Then, there's the sack boy who is always happy with not a care in the world. I saw him on the front row of Allison's concert a week ago and he was inspiring. He clapped, he danced, he rejoiced, and he was moved by every gospel song that was sung. How simple happiness can be. I always knew he was challenged, but watching his pure delight at a gospel concert touched a tender chord in me.

Like Angela, I'm not comfortable about strange people striking up a conversation with me, especially when they start off, out of the blue, telling me they need to talk to their roommate. No preamble, no introduction. It's like the conversation has been going on in their heads and now they are letting me in on it and at the point they were at themselves. Now I'm not making sense.

Consider the company I keep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weird.

But I worked with the developmentally-disabled and if these guys are developmentally-disabled it makes perfect sense the way they come up to you and just start talking about things as if you've been in on it from the start.

angela | the painted house said...

I hope you aren't shopping at night. Be careful!

Anonymous said...

When I am in a store, I don't mind striking up a conversation with someone, especially an older person, but don't dare do that to me in a parking lot.

Anonymous said...

I love to talk to older folks at the grocery store. Maybe they are blogging about me right now:(