Friday, March 21, 2008

All-Natural Egg Coloring

Guest Blogger: Jan

Color your Easter eggs with nature's own colors!

Place one layer of eggs in a large pan with water fully covering the eggs. Add one teaspoon of vinegar. Add the natural dye. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Temporarily remove the eggs from the liquid. Strain the dye through a coffee filter. Cover the eggs with the filtered dye and let them remain in the refrigerator overnight.

LAVENDER - Purple Grape Juice
BLUE - Caned Blueberries
GREEN - Spinach Leaves (boiled)
YELLOW - Ground Cumin (boiled)
BROWN - Strong Coffee
ORANGE - Yellow Onion Skins (boiled)
PINK - Beets or Cranberry Juice
RED - Lots of Red Onion Skins (boiled)

Personally, I prefer PAAS!

Thanks, Jan, for sharing this idea. It might appeal to the vegans in my family.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

I'm with you, Jan. I think PAAS is easier and probably less of an odor. I always used vinegar and food coloring. Ah, those were the days. I miss it.

Anonymous said...

I just use the plastic eggs with stuff inside. They don't stink when you find them 2 months later under a side table.

Anonymous said...

I used the PAAS. I miss not having a bunch of little ones around the table coloring easter eggs (not to mention coloring anything else it fell on).

I just filled a bunch of eggs for the kids at church and it sure is a lot neater and easier!