Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sleeping in the Buff

This might be TMI for some people, but I will try to be discreet. It's simply a subject I am curious about since most of what I hear and read indicates that sleeping nekkid is passe. I'd appreciate your comments on this.

I grew up believing that married couples slept in a natural state. Of course this wasn't something I witnessed, but I knew it to be true. My parents didn't bother with pajamas and for all I know, they still don't.

When my oldest daughter was about to be married she asked my Dad what was the secret of his long, happy marriage to my Mother. Allison wanted words of wisdom, something she could incorporate into her own marriage. My Dad told her, "sleep naked".

Shortly after, we all gathered for a lingerie party for Allison. She opened some beautiful gowns and teddies. One box, though, was very light. As she tore into the wrapping and opened the box she noticed it was empty. But on the bottom of the box was a message from her grandfather: "sleep naked".

I totally understand what my Dad was getting at. It's the electrifying experience of feeling skin against skin, an intimacy that is shared and unique to their own relationship. It's a special closeness. And, of course, there's the comfort. No clothing is getting twisted or confining during sleep. It's the same sense of freedom as skinny-dipping, providing one has a private place to do so.

When I lived alone I always wore a nightshirt. There was no one to cuddle with and I felt secure knowing that if someone broke into my home I wouldn't appear ready. Since it was up to me to be the protector in my own home, I took certain precautions. When I take vacations with friends I always pack pajamas. We have no interest in it being any other way. But marriage is a different story. Each couple must decide what is best for them and their comfort. Personally, I don't understand getting dressed for bed.

However, I do know the drawbacks to sleeping in the buff. One never knows when a child will have a nightmare, get sick, or appear bedside for some special attention. On those occasions, I left a gown at the foot of the bed so I could dress in a hurry and take on my motherly role. Then there's the threat of a tornado. I have nightmares about a tornado hitting my house during the night, sucking me up in its funnel and depositing my nude body in a tree for all the world to see. And there's my stomach. I love to sleep on my side. Unfortunately, my belly sleeps on the bed beside me. Not pretty. If it weren't for the sheet, I'd be forced to wear a nightshirt for that reason alone.

Most sleepwear is not husband-friendly. He wants something appealing, we want comfort. Teddies that fit like they should are not made for comfort. They are made for modeling. They are designed to look so good that they are soon removed and we are back in our comfort zone. If I were to sleep in something it would be a shapeless, roomy gown that gave me freedom of movement, one that my husband would call a granny gown. I'm serious about my sleep.

So, why do most couples that I hear about sleep in clothes? Am I missing something here? Is there a negative side that I don't know of? Can sleepwear really be comfortable? Until someone sets me straight on this and can prove my Dad wrong about the secret of a happy marriage, I will be sleeping teddy bare.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd sleep nekked (Aunt Dorothy's pronunciation) if I could lose about 20 pounds and tone up the rest. There's just this dread of going down the hall to the bathroom....the visual from behind. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

YEAAA NAKED !!! From the husband.

Anonymous said...

soft knit pj bottoms and a t-shirt. comfortable and great for when the kids join us. i enjoy the feel of the sheets against my skin but I just go to bed as I am acound the house in the evening, I don't bother to disrobe.

Anonymous said...

Agree with your dad - sleep naked! Can't stand anything on when I'm in bed. You have to ask Linda next time you see her about out Las Vegas trip. Too funny!!!

Peggy said...

Deb, I know that story. I think you should comment on it here so everyone can laugh!

Peggy said...

Sissy, do you know how many women your age would kill to look like you? If a nightly visit to the bathroom is holding you back, then hold it!

Anonymous said...

Was that Robin? I had a feeling this blog was going to get him to participate.

Your friend Pat taught me the boxer shorts and t-shirt. They are the best for me. I like nekked, and sometimes during the middle of the night I will switch to that, but always afraid I am going to get caught with "my pants down"!

angela | the painted house said...

There is nothing like sliding into bed with a naked man. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Good play on words, Sissy.

Anonymous said...

Angela, thanks for the visual of my brother.

I have to sleep in clothes. It used to be just a nightgown but now I like pj's. I'm sure Mike would be MORE than thrilled if I slept naked but I just feel more comfortable in clothes. Especially if I haven't shaven my legs....

That's neat that your Dad sent that "present" to Allison!

Aubrey said...

Your dad's advice...love it! And the gift, so funny!

I used to sleep in my knickers and a tank and I've moved on up to tiny but comfy nighties. I think I would sleep a la naked BUT I am too afraid of my kids walking in. LOL

Came to you thru SITS!

thotlady said...

I tried sleeping in the nude, but it just felt funny. I guess all those years of wearing pajamas as a child. I feel like something is missing when I sleep naked.

I have tried it several times. It just feels awkward to me. Strange I know.

Sydney said...

I sleep comfy, but not nekked. Such a great post though! Thanks for stopping by my blog!