Wednesday, August 06, 2008

My Date with Thomas

I had a date today with a handsome, much younger, man and I enjoyed every minute of it. He was none other than my oldest grandson, Thomas, who will be 7 this Saturday. We had our traditional lunch and shopping trip. I was told he was up and ready to go, wondering why Memaw wasn't already on his door step.Check out those baby blues. And two missing teeth never looked so good! He dug through all the Lego toys, Bionicles, and transformers. He was very careful in making his final decision.
Here he is striking a pose with some sort of laser gun or transformer fighter gun. I'm stumped. But he can tell you exactly what it is, how it works, and who uses it.
Unfortunately, this youngster chose McDonalds for lunch. The older grandchildren have more discriminating tastes. But I walked away with more money in my wallet.
Thomas wanted to come back to my house and spend the day with us. He told me Papa Robin would love his toys, which he did. He showed off everything and assembled the Lego car and track in no time, by simply following the instructions. I didn't know guys did that. Anyway, he's really into Legos like his Dad was. His Dad said Thomas can actually build more creative things with Legos than Ron could. He's made his own transformers that actually transform. He also designs transformer outerwear out of empty soda cartons. I admire this because a transformer looks like a foreign subject to me.
I, too, sat in the floor and watched this genius create. One thing I do understand is that he can transform my face into a big smile. What a great day with a special guy!

It rained on us a little as we drove home and we got into a conversation about lightening and its dangers.

Thomas: "You have two chances with lightening. The second time you're hit, you end up in heaven."

Memaw: "I want to go to heaven. Heaven would be a wonderful place to be."

Thomas: "But in heaven you won't be able to see your grandson."

Memaw: "Well, I want all my kids in heaven with me."

Thomas: "But if you go to heaven first, you will be lonely. Wouldn't you rather live on earth with your grandchildren? In heaven, you can't come back. If you do come back you will scare your grandchildren because you'd be a ghost."

Memaw: (Are we back to scaring grandchildren? I can't win for losing.) "Don't worry. I think I will stay here with my grandchildren."

Then he asked that I define the word deny. I told him when we deny something we are either telling the truth or lying. He couldn't grasp that concept and I gave many examples. He finally ended that conversation by telling me he was confused. I was beginning to get that way myself.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

test

Anonymous said...

The blogger ate my first comment.

Thomas has always been such a gorgeous boy! I love those blue eyes and curly hair. And he's pretty funny too....about the ghost thing. ha!

Isn't it funny how explaining things to children makes you confused too?....or when explaining something to Ashton, he makes you feel stupid. He asked me one day what the temp was here that day. I told him it was supposed to be between 95 and 100. He replied, "That would be 97 and a half, wouldn't it?" I didn't even bother explaining it to him. I just agreed and laughed!

Anonymous said...

what a cute little boy and so smart. he is going to be a gear head like his daddy!

Anonymous said...

Was yesterday his actual birthday? He is so cute. Just like his dad. Glad you had a good time.

Peggy said...

Thomas's birthday is this Saturday. You just skimmed over the blog and missed it, huh, Sissy??? LOL

angela | the painted house said...

Gosh, he is so handsome. Sounds like you all enjoyed the day. I love that he is designing things with cans--so creative!

Anonymous said...

I'm a speed reader:)