Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Date with Baylee

Baylee and I had a marvelous time shopping and dining for her birthday. She kept telling me it was a day just for the girls and the girls were both in pink. A pink girls day. I like that.Baylee chose Steak 'N Shake for her birthday lunch celebration. I placed the chef hat on her head and snapped a picture while we were waiting for our food. She could hardly eat. Her excitement was greater than her appetite. But it wouldn't be any better if we shopped first and ate later because she was anxious to play with her new treasures.
I led Baylee down the "girls aisle" at the store. I asked if she wanted a doll, she said no and walked straight ahead without looking at the sweet faces in the cute clothes just waiting to be taken home and loved. She walked with a purpose and when she got to the aisle where all the animal toys are displayed, she stopped. She knew what she wanted. I should have known. Baylee and animals just go together.

She chose a sweet little lamb that moves its head and baa's. Her next choice was a plush pony who drives an ice cream truck. In Toyland, animals can do anything. As we walked to the register, she told me, "Mama will be so mad because this is too many dollars." I assured her we had stayed within budget.

I was so proud of Baylee (all my grandchildren are this way) for being so selective and expecting one thing. I have to remind them we still have money for something else. Let's face it. Most kids roar into a toy store like a freight train, tossing items into the cart with both hands. She said no to most things she examined, until finally finding the right one. It says a lot about how she is raised. I appreciate that.

I so enjoyed my pink day with just the girls. We had so much fun and I especially loved hearing, "Thank you for inviting me, Memaw", and "You are the best Memaw ever". YOU are the best Baylee ever and I love you!!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is something about her that I can't get enough news on....I know she just LOVED having her memaw all to herself. She made good choices!!!!

Anonymous said...

As her date with you came closer Baylee and Jude would remind each other that it was Baylee's turn to go shopping and Jude's turn to be jealous.

She did have the best day ever and her brother missed her very much. He started crying when we drove away from his sister and he said he just missed her so much. Sophia would also point to Baylee's empty seat and say "baylee" with a concerned frown on her face.

Thanks for the great time. She really feels special when it is just the two of you.

angela | the painted house said...

What a fun day for the burnettes! I'm glad that you all had such a fun day shopping--what a special birthday tradition.

Anonymous said...

She looks so happy! I'm sure she had a blast!

I love how sweet Jude is, especially for a boy. He is so loving and caring. Clay would have never cried while leaving me somewhere!

Anonymous said...

Such a special relationship Jude and Baylee have. Happy Birthday Baylee!!!!! I would have gone for the animals toys too!!!