Monday, August 25, 2008

Robin's A Home Wrecker

I should be ashamed to post this picture. Unfortunately, a blog addict usually forgoes any sense of decency that might be present. So, here before you is an orphan that the Great White Hunter snared tonight. This baby could possibly belong to opossum #1 and 2, that met a similar fate. The city will come tomorrow to carry off this small creature, most likely away from its mommy. Unless opossum #3 that I've seen stalking our back yard is the actual parent of said baby. We're infested and I see no end in sight.

I had my reservations about Robin setting a trap for this baby. I've watched his cute way of walking around, and sitting to munch on a morsel of cat food. He is kinda cute. Most baby animals are cute, excluding reptiles, amphibians, and insects. But cute baby opossums grow into big hideous opossums who tear into our garbage and scatter it all over. Still, I feel some sadness about a possible separation between mother and child.

I know it's silly to give human feelings to an opossum. Yes, he's scared. He has a built-in instinct for survival. Whether he feels this great tenderness towards his mother, I don't know. I just know how I feel. And I feel guilty. I am an accomplice. Sure, it was Robin who set the trap, the Big Man Hunter who can capture a small, defenseless baby in his caged trap. But I'm just as guilty because I haven't opened the door and released the poor thing.

We've created an orphan. I'll probably have nightmares tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is KINDA cute. But they sure grow up to be ugly!

Speaking of dreams, you know you've watched too much Olympics when you dream you're a gymnast.

angela | the painted house said...

Hmm, I beg to differ. Not cute. Ever.

Man, you've got them thick there!

Heather said...

He is pretty cute...now. He won't be cute at all in a few months. I think this is a good lesson for him. He's too young to stray so far from his mother.

Anonymous said...

Keep this up and you can have your own petting zoo...........

ewwwwwwwwww

Anonymous said...

The little guy is cute in a rat like kind of way. WILD KINGDOM!