Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Simon Says Book Review

Almost a year ago I entered my novel in a writing competition and I received the results in the mail today. I understand the dynamics of a contest since I've submitted poems to poetry contests in the past. The best is chosen, but that doesn't mean other books, or athletes, or artists are no good. It simply means the best is chosen and the best is determined based on the judge's personal tastes and understanding of the industry. Since this was my first attempt at a novel and a new experience with the publishing industry, I had no big illusions about winning, but of course we all hope to place.

Simon Says competed in what the editor called "a particular fierce competition" with many entrants and many good books. There was one grand prize winner and nine category prizes. Those of us who did not place received a certificate of participation and a judge's commentary. I was excited about the critique and looked forward to hearing the good and the bad. I hope what I learned will help me in future writing endeavors.

I will now share the judge's commentary on book one. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 meaning poor and 5 meaning excellent, this is how the judge rated the following:

Plot: 3

Grammar: 4 (this authorizes me to correct Cheryl and Cristal)

Character Development: 3

Cover Design: 4 (Hooray for Angela!)

What did you like best about this book? This story is heartbreaking and realistic, allowing each character the opportunity to be multi-dimensional. The love between Agnes and Ellis is well written and helps the reader to move through the story at a good pace. This is a long novel, yet the writing is so good that it moves quickly. Simon's character isn't purely evil, and we are able, through understanding his past and his own thoughts on his behavior, to see why he makes some of the choices he makes. Ellis is lovable and loyal, and she is difficult to remain distance from. Her love for her husband, her aunt, and her family makes her both compelling and complicated as the novel unfolds.

How can the author improve this book? The first chapter, that seems to lay down the unfolding of the relationship, is difficult. While it helps to draw the reader in, it might be too much information up front, particularly because Ellis' breakdown is hard to understand as we finish book one. Simon, while complicated, at times seems too dastardly for the terminally nice Ellis to love. She is so blinded and loyal that it becomes difficult to understand why she continues to choose to stay. While the death of her family is, of course, a driving force, it doesn't seem to change in any way (even in her own mind) enough to allow for the length of time Ellis continues to make the same choices for the same reasons. Her aunt is a good way to help us understand her choices, but she doesn't seem, right now, to fulfill those character duties.

I appreciate this critique and any comments the rest of my blog sisters might have. Tomorrow I will share the judge's commentary on book two.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I think you should have 5's in all catagories and I haven't even read them yet. I'm not biased or anything. I can't wait to read them! And yes, you can correct my spelling anytime. You're not annoying, I just like to tease you!

angela | the painted house said...

Darn, Blogger just lost my long comment...so here it is abbreviated. Nice to have the critique even if you didn't place. I agree that the book moves along at a fast, interesting pace and that sometimes Ellis seems too nice to stay so long with Simon--maybe a weakness in her? I'm proud of you, MOther!

Also I'm surprised with the unexpected critique of the cover.

Get reading, Cristal!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you received a notice of the contest! I am so VERY proud of you BB. The book, in my opinion was an A+. I think for the large competition in this contest, you received some wonderful compliments. I am anxious to hear more. When the next one is published.....AND IT WILL BE PUBLISHED (understand??) everything will be taken into consideration from the advice of the judges in this contest. THE ADVICE OF THE JUDGES IN A CONTEST FROM MY BB PUBLISHED BOOK!!! What an accomplishment and what a prize to win with all of us.....

Angela's art just set everything off. It described the whole thought of the book in one picture.

Gosh I am so PROUD! Especially that I have my own personal spelling teacher. How special is that!!!!!

Love you

Anonymous said...

I am so choked up about this. I am so proud of my sister and my niece. I was even before this judge's critique, but it is so exciting to hear from someone who is totally objective. You two are so talented and I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Are you still working on a novel together? I haven't checked on it lately. When you start back, I'll get caught up. You are both great!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you, mom. That book got me through my bed rest with my pregnancy with Jude. Angela, your cover so beautiful, I am proud of your "4".