Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Simon Says Book Review 2

Here's the judge's commentary on Simon Says, Book Two.

Plot: 2

Grammar: 4

Character Development: 2

Cover Design: 3

What did you like best about this book? This book, like the first, kept the reader caring about Ellis and her eventual well being. The story of Simon's demise remained complicated and interesting, and Drake's involvement in the story added a new twist. Ellis' relationship with her doctor and eventual re-awakening was a satisfying ending after a long time with Ellis and her family. Simon's downfall and the reintroduction of Kit were interesting plot elements that were gratifying. The writing was very good, and the plot kept moving without sacrificing all that had been built in the first book. Every element of the plot was nicely tied up and the ending of the book was a satisfying reward for a long, interesting read.

How can the author improve this book? Like the first book, book two continued to follow Ellis' almost blind love of her marriage. More complication on the part of Ellis without further vilifying Simon would be helpful to the forward movement of the plot. In many ways, what happens in the novel is gratifying to the reader, but also pretty expected. Problematizing some of the story line might help to keep the reader engaged and surprised by the story. Drake's awakening to his father's behavior might have been better taken coming from his mother, and also allowed Ellis (and the reader) to better understand her choices. Everything falls into place at the end very neatly, and quickly. Slowing this down might help, as well. This story seems more of a romance than a mainstream novel, although elements of both are obviously present.

There you have it, an objective opinion of my books by someone who doesn't know me, someone I didn't give birth to, someone I didn't grow up with and shared a bed, someone who is a Best Buddy, someone I don't share a bed with now, and finally, someone who is neither friend nor family who might feel compelled to say something nice. I'm proud to reveal that the areas of weakness I saw in my own books were pretty much what was pointed out to me in the commentaries. The compliments weren't expected and I appreciate them very much.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still a very good review. Yes Ellis had more problems than just Simon, but I believe some women can come to believe they are not worthy of that "special" man if he beats it into her head enough. She was naive because of her very loving, sheltered upbringing, and that may have caused her to give him so much time to change. Still the best read ever I believe in my oh so humble opinion.

What's with the 3 for the cover? The expert didn't like the cut strings?

Peggy said...

I wondered about that, too, Donna. It's not like the cover is that much different from the first. I love the cover and that is what matters most!

Anonymous said...

I wondered that too about the cover.....since I haven't yet read the books and can't really comment on that part of it.

Anonymous said...

That should make you feel real good. See, we aren't biased!

angela | the painted house said...

Darn, I lost a point.

You should be very proud of the critique. Excellent work!

Anonymous said...

I personally like the second book even better! As far as Ellis goes, even I have a hard time saying enough is enough. I agree, her upbringing left her a caring, forgiving and compasionate person who will go to any lengths to give someone more chances to redeem themselves. Being a stepmom, there is no reasoning to bad mouth a parent in a childs eyes. They have enough to deal with (although heaven knows I am loaded with amunition! lol)

I am still proud of you Peggy...your the best....