Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Weekend Jaunt

I took Friday off from work and accompanied Robin to Houston for a business meeting. We had the meeting with his steel supplier, then took off for Galveston. We (Robin) were hoping to find some off-season sales on swimwear. The prices were still pretty high by Robin's standards, but he has no idea what those skimpy pieces of cloth can go for. He didn't find anything for himself, but chose a Texas flag bikini for me. I think it would look better waving from a pole in our yard, showing our allegiance to the Lone Star State. I'm not anxious to try it on.

While in Galveston, we wanted to scope out the resort we have reserved for August, 2008. We found it, a whole 15 miles from all the action in Galveston. It's on a stretch of road that is no longer Seawall Blvd., but San Luis Pass. On the positive side, the resort is new and all the condos look fresh in their pale Easter colors. The negatives are that the resort is spread out and the trek to the pool would burn a few calories. The beach is across the road, but requires a car or a very long walk. Once parked, there is a long bridge over a dune that leads to the beach. There are no restaurants or grocery stores very close. Robin decided he doesn't want to stay there so we will book something else. Finding a condo during red season is difficult. I can see Robin being bored there. Cheryl and I would have a ball.

On the way back to the civilized section of Galveston we spotted a cow standing by the road. It looked as if it was considering its two options: find the broken part of the fence and return to the pasture, or risk becoming ground beef. We continued on, neither of us wanting to learn of its decision.

Then, there was a truck in front of us with "OTR Services" written on the back and sides. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Just imagine their list of services: feminine products, mind-altering and anti-bloating drugs, straitjackets, body guards, hit men, etc. My world is small, so I have no other explanation for this company.

As usual, we took the back roads home and enjoyed the scenery. We went through College Station, Mexia (no "Home of Anna Nicole Smith" sign that I could see), picked up I 45 in Corsicana where we had lunch and a pit stop, then immediately took another back road to home.

We had the camera but saw nothing picture worthy, other than the cow or the truck and I was too slow in capturing the moment. It was just a small getaway but any day away from work is great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The high swimsuit prices don't surprise me since Houston/Galveston only have 2 seasons....HOT, and VERY HOT. Whenever I get homesick I take a trip home, get out of the car, and then remember why I will never live there again! BUT, it will always be home!!

Glad you had a good trip. It's always fun to get away even for a quick trip.

Anonymous said...

I'm also glad you took a mini vacation -- still trying to get even huh! I shudder to even imagine a bikini being purchased for me to wear. Ugh.

angela | the painted house said...

I wish I could have seen you in Houston...although, that would mean that I would still live there. Love that place but glad I'm not living there anymore.