Friday, October 05, 2007

Toby - In Loving Memory

It was a year ago today that Toby was put to sleep because of a combination of health problems. He was 17 years old. Toby was presented to me on one of my birthdays and he proved to be the greatest gift ever.

I often teased that he had more dog tendencies than those of a cat. He came when I called him, he learned to beg for his treats, and he understood other commands like "Toby, get the bug!". But he was all cat with a purr that sounded like a diesel engine, but comforting just the same.

Toby was a great hunter, a trait common to the American Shorthair. In his early years he would wait patiently by the fireplace, listening to birds caught in the chimney. Many times I came home from work to discover the remains of a poor unfortunate fowl, always left under the same chair in my bedroom.

And what a fabulous bed partner he was! He wasn't a lap cat, but he did like to snuggle. He would find his comfortable spot on the bed, close to me, and slip off to happy cat dreams. When Robin entered the picture, Toby often left my side and stayed close to the man of the house.

Toby was so good to my grandchildren. Little ones sometimes don't know how much pressure to apply when petting an animal. Toby patiently allowed them to do whatever they wanted. If he had enough of it, he quietly slipped away. There was no biting and no spitting. He was such a good boy and absolutely no problem until old age began the wear and tear on his body.

Besides his gentle temperament, Toby made us laugh. All cats have their antics, but one stands out clearly in my mind. Angela and Clayton had just married and were spending a few days with me. Someone had given Clayton a feathery honeymoon accessory and to his dismay, Toby found it in the opened suitcase. Here comes Toby into the den with this slip of a garment with feathers attached. We all doubled over laughing. I have the picture, but I'm sure Clayton is glad I don't know where it is at the moment. If I did, it would be posted. Better seeing it in Toby's mouth than having Clayton model it for us.

Here's to Toby. I've missed him so much but he gave me 17 years of unconditional love and I will never forget what he meant to me. That little guy really grabbed my heart.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice tribute to a good friend.

What is it about 17 years and cats? Hayley was 17 when she died and Lucy died this summer at the same age.

Oh, by the way, I'm still on vacation. aaaah

Peggy said...

I didn't know Lucy died!!!

I guess I'm glad you got to go on vacation.

Anonymous said...

This made me so sad. I feel the same way about my cats. Spookie is going on 15 and doing well but I fear the day that he leaves us. He is also my bed partner and when Mike came along he became Mike's bed partner too, much to Mike's dismay.

UGH, thanks for the rooster reminder!!

If we tell Donna we're happy for her will she stop rubbing it in our faces??

Donna, the best part of vacation is coming home and having to unpack, do laundry, reading stacks of mail, and oh yeah, going back to work. When is that again?? :)...Seriously, hope you're having fun!

Anonymous said...

He was the best. I miss you Toby....



The Chicken Lady

Anonymous said...

Sweet boy. You failed to mention that he caught all these birds de-clawed.

I miss the young toby - snotty eyes and all.

angela | the painted house said...

HOLY COW!!!! What has been wrong with my computer??? For the last two weeks I have checked and checked the blog only to see the "Reunited" post. Then today there are all these posts I have missed!

Mom, just know that I haven't been ignoring you!!! That is just so weird!

Toby was very special. Didn't he also drag that big teddy bear of mine into the living room over and over? OR was that Oliver?

Two posts about cats...are you sure you don't want Jack and Parker. All the love without the expense.

Peggy said...

Angela, I think it was Oliver who was enamored by the teddy bear. He'd hump anything.

Call Robin Jr. and ask that he take Weasil back home and we will be foster parents to Parker and Jack.

Peggy said...

By the way, Angela, when you never commented on my posts I thought you didn't love me any more. So, I changed my will. You are no longer getting my medical bills.

Anonymous said...

LOL Peggy!! hmmmmm, I've been commenting, hope that doesn't mean I've taken her place!

I just want your pickled uterus.

Peggy said...

If I'd been alert, I could have other pickled items from the last surgery.

angela | the painted house said...

Just as long as I am still getting your fur coat...oh, wait, that is Randee, isn't it?

Give me li'l Robin's number.

Anonymous said...

The uterus is not pickled, it was stuffed and mounted on the fire place!

Anonymous said...

LOL Dee!! That's even worse!!!