Thursday, October 11, 2007

Robin's Free Spirit


Yesterday afternoon Robin went to a local tattoo parlor - appropriately placed on a highway jammed with topless bars, yet very close to our home - and finally finished his tattoo. The darker areas in the photo are the new additions. The older, faded parts will be touched up soon.

This is Robin's own design. He didn't want to choose from the large assortment of patterns and risk being duplicated. When we had our first date in Galveston, he was at the pool when he saw me drive up. He met me in the parking garage, only in his swimming trunks, and when he turned to head back to the pool I saw those spooky eyes on his back. He later informed me that on this particular trip he would add a new dimension to the eyes. I sat in the tattoo parlor and watched as he bravely covered any pain he might be feeling. Occasionally, he would wink at me. This time, however, he had it done solo while I was across town getting my roots done. That's what almost ten years of marriage does to you.

I'm not into body art. I don't have a strong opinion about Robin's tattoo. If he likes it, go for it. If it were my body in question, I'd be totally against it. While a yellow M&M guy might look cute on my shoulder, it would be my luck that I'd be invited to a formal event where a strapless gown would be the proper attire. I don't see the yellow guy fitting in.

The closest I've come to body art is getting my ears pierced. That wasn't well received by everyone and a tattoo would really be pushing it. I'm done in the piercing department. Although, I wouldn't mind getting my ears done again so I could wear diamond studs with my hoops or danglies. But that would require the purchase of some diamond studs. I'm not interested in having my tongue or belly button done, or any other areas of my anatomy. I really don't understand nipple piercing. The female breasts need no decoration. You can't improve on perfection.

This morning I removed the bandages from Robin's back and applied ointment after his shower. He viewed his back in the mirror.

"Is that a beard you added to the face?" I asked.

"A beard?" Robin was incredulous. "It's a bird in flight."

"A bird? But what about the eyes?"

"You don't understand abstract art. It's the back of a bird with eyes peering from its back"

"Why?" I asked.

Robin exhales a deep, exasperated breath. "It symbolizes a free spirit with a menacing undertone which proves no one is ever really free."

"Kinda like we think we are free but Big Brother is watching?"

He didn't answer. By the look on his face, I'm glad he didn't.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said Peggy.

Anonymous said...

Ouch!

Anonymous said...

ditto!

angela | the painted house said...

I see the bird, now that you mention it. Very creative, Robin.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that show Big Brother! It is so good.

WHAT????