Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mama Cat Plus 5




The progress that continues to be made between me and Mama Cat is remarkable. She easily comes to me when I call her and has let me hold her twice, although she wasn't as thrilled about it as I was. She rubs against my legs and now considers me a semi-friend, as opposed to my once enemy status. I do, after all, have the food.

Occasionally I will see a yellow kitten from a litter she had about 6 months ago. He/she is learning the drill, to come running for food when the door opens, I call kitty, and the distinct sound of a paper bag being opened. Lately, I thought I could hear the sounds of a smaller kitten, but thought surely not. Mama cat had a litter 6 months ago, why go back and do it all over again so soon?

Well, she did. Now when I go to the door there are four beautiful kittens playing in the yard, nursing on Mama Cat, or playfully chasing each other. I'm just itching to get my hands on them but they scatter when they hear the door open. I know in time they will associate my voice with food and a good scratch under the chin, but they might be past this cute kitten stage. I've picked out my favorite, a fluffy gray and white with the sweetest face, but it won't do me much good on the homefront.

I was sitting outside today watching Mama Cat eat when her babies emerged from their hiding places to partake of the food. They kept an eye on me as they slowly approached the bowl. For the first time they ate and slurped water with me sitting nearby in plain sight. I'm having to buy bags of dry food in duplicates now. Six cats can drain the well in no time.

I guess I'm trying to civilize these flea-infested dumpster cats. It has been interesting to watch the transformation from being completely afraid of me and learning some trust. Their backyard sanctuary is also a needed haven for me. I can sit there and watch them and pet Mama Cat and feel so at peace. It's a great place to be when the office gets too crazy.

Now, a funny comment from my grandson, Ashton. I got him hooked on the hand-held Yahtzee when I visited them last month. He plays it all the time, unless he's immersed in his obsession with math. Well, today he told his Mom that Callan's hair was curly like hers. She said, "yes, Callan and I have curly hair, and you, Daddy, and Juliet have straight hair."

Ashton said, "Two with curly hair, and three with straight hair, that's a Full House!"

Oh, I love that kid!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashton is hilarious!! Everytime I talk to him he tells me what his high score is and what his Daddy's high score is, which is lower than Ashton's. Then I'll ask him if he's smarter than his Daddy and he'll tell me "yeah".

I think we may have found a home for Jack and Parker.......

angela | the painted house said...

Okay, those kittens are adorable...BUT I don't want to hear that you are giving them a home. Certainly they aren't declawed, neutered/spayed, and vaccinated like sweet Parker and Jack. And, they don't come with free food, litter, and vet visits like my two kitties. Are you and Robin sure you don't want these two guys? They were just cuddling and bathing each other while Clayton and I watched The Office.

Isn't Ashton the cutest?

Anonymous said...

Yes Ashton is adorable. I love how his mind works!

Anonymous said...

He is so sweet...

Angela, why don't you give the cats a second chance. Their good boys too! At least they have each other to keep company with. As long as they use the litter box, I vote that they stay......right girls????