Thursday, October 25, 2007

Countdown To Hunting Season



Robin has been very busy as he anticipates the opening weekend of hunting season, which will go into effect at sunrise on November 3. He bought two spots on the lease this year and that required the construction of another deer blind. He is seen here with the blind, all decked out in camo paint. He successfully built this structure under our carport and now a combination of ragweed and sawdust have him plugged and sneezing.

Robin's already been to the shooting range to sight in his gun and will go again next week. Clothes, towels, sleeping bag and pillow are just waiting to be stowed in his SUV. He's made several trips to the deer lease to make needed repairs and fill the feeders. He has a make-shift shower on the premises near the camp site. His camper will be stocked with easy meals and, yes, even the disgusting Vienna Sausages. As is usually the case, much of his cookware, coffee pot, and thermos will be brought home and placed in the kitchen sink to "soak". Soak, meaning that I will not tolerate a sink full of neglected items and will wash them myself. I certainly don't mind because hunting season is an exciting time for me too.

No, I do not go hunting. I'd never be able to bring myself to putting a bullet in a doe or buck. The macho feel of the hunt, the challenge, is missing in me. Besides, I'd never make it in such a crude environment. The lack of indoor plumbing is a big factor, and walking to the blind in the dark is scary even though snakes are probably in their hidey-holes right now. Another big concern is that perfume, after shave, anything with a non-outdoor scent is forbidden. I neither want to spend the weekend sans perfume or share cramped quarters with the primal male scent. I'd never make it as a hunter.

What excites me about hunting season is slumber parties, a change in routine, and spending time with friends and family. Donna and her friend, Deborah, hope to join Patty and me for a slumber party with lots of good food and laughter. That's my excitement about hunting season. So, stay tuned for slumber party pictures (and maybe a deer or two).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time for all. I cannot understand, nor do I have to understand, the excitement of hunting.

There are so many differences in the sexes. I'm glad I'm a girl, aren't you Randee?

angela | the painted house said...

What deer blind? All I see is Robin's floating head?

Pa-da-pa! Just another bad camo joke.

Anonymous said...

My Dad and all the men, except Clay, in the family are avid hunters. Clay and I went with them one trip as kids. Why I don't know and it was EXTREMELY boring.

Not only could I not put a bullet in a deer but do you know what they do to them afterwards? Beyond disgusting.