Monday, June 01, 2009

9 Days, 9 States, Family Fun

Robin and I returned home from a wonderful vacation two days ago. We took a long scenic drive to visit Angela, Clayton, Ashton, Juliet, and Callan. We had a great time touring the newly remodeled cottage in the mountains, and loving on the three grandchildren I don't get to see often enough. We were treated to dinner, both at restaurants and at home with Angela's vegan cooking skills honed to perfection. We were offered the master suite and bath with a vase of fresh beautiful peonies. And Angela kicked us out one evening with a gift certificate for a nice cozy dinner for two, sans precious grandchildren.
I'd complain about all the fighting over who gets to sit by Memaw if it weren't so darned sweet.

Our visit with Clayton was too brief since he had to return to the real world and work. But we enjoyed visiting with him and seeing all the sights as he drove us around.

I was thrilled to finally get to meet Erin, one of Angela's dearest friends. As a bonus, I got to meet Karen, Erin's mother. We thought it'd be fun to plan a mother/daughter retreat at the cottage someday. Beautiful ladies.
Little Callan on the drums. Those golden curls and blue eyes just melt the heart. I could hear the sweet sounds of "Memaw, Memaw" every morning when he awoke. Yes, I felt special.
See? I'm actually standing in that beautiful cottage! How I longed to walk those rooms and it was well worth the wait. Saying goodbye to these three little ones was hard.

I am so stinkin' proud of this handsome foursome! I asked if I could take them home with me. Ashton jumped at the offer, saying he'd get to spend time with cousins Jude and Thomas. Juliet politely declined. She's a Mama's Girl and couldn't imagine leaving her side.
We took our time driving home and ended up putting over 2500 miles on Robin's truck. We both love road trips and prefer back roads to interstate. There's so much to see and enjoy. My senses were filled with mountains, water, and lush green foliage. The last time we tried a trip of this length I ended up in the hospital and we both felt cheated. Fortunately, no emergency rooms on this trip.
The above picture is of a natural bridge in Arkansas. It's in a very remote part of a mountain, complete with scary curves in the road. But it was an interesting sight.


This is an old moonshine stile. As I recall, some of my distant relatives knew a lot about this piece of machinery.
We browsed several wood carving shops, purchased rocks and mining bags to pan for our own gold and gems, and some pottery shops and flea markets. We saw two shops whose names were an interesting play on words:
A dog grooming salon - Doggie Style (hmmm, that does conger up the intended image)
A flea market and antiques mall - Fleas & Tiques (I'm guessing that those fleas and tiques could be handled at Doggie Style)
Thank you, Angela and Clayton, for a wonderful time. We so enjoyed your company, hospitality, and those three sweet kids!

7 comments:

Donna said...

It sounds like a great trip, and we are all so thrilled you didn't end up in the ER! I know you hated to leave all of them.

cristal said...

Thanks for posting all the pics! I don't get to see many pics of the kids. I miss them sooo much!

Glad you had a fun trip! I didn't know y'all drove. That would be fun getting to make stops on the way.

cheryl said...

What a great trip! I'm glad you cut away on your own for a while. It sure is beautiful there, but especially beautiful faces at the cottage. I don't think I could have left without being dragged. Glad there were no emergencies this time.

dee said...

love the pics. glad you had a good time!

Jan Tucker said...

Thank goodness you are home. It's been over 2 weeks since you blogged and I think I am having Peggy withdrawals! Ha Ha
Only 4 entries for May; I was hoping you were writing on your next book since I am anxiously awaiting your next one! Hint Hint
I am so glad your trip was wonderful. Good to get away and you and Robin needed some travel time together and not hospital related! Thanks for sharing your pictures. I love seeing your family and everyone looks great. Glad you are back my friend.

angela | the painted house said...

Guess who asked for Memaw this morning? The Bear! We were so happy to have you both in our neck of the woods. Thank you for coming and spending good times with us all. The kids are getting good use of their toys--Juliet tucks Barbie in her bed every night when she goes to bed. So sweet.

Glad you all were safe and sound on the way home and did some more fun stuff. And thanks to Robin for getting our hot tub up and running--we are looking forward to using it this weekend!

cristal said...

awww, I can't wait to hear baby Calle talk! And how cute of Juliet to tuck her Barbie into bed! :)